How do trucking companies calculate paid miles?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Aug 3, 2021.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i get paid hub miles. every mile i drive i get. plus i get 10x points for every gallon at the pilot/flying J

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    But.....did you figure it out through the new subdivision, across the two cornfields and the lake that lead to the 2 lane with all of the switchbacks!?? Lol. But....seriously....I have a hard time figuring it out myself sometimes. I think they use a program called PCmiler. It probably runs on DOS 4.0. I don't think it is compatible with Windows 3.1 or higher.:confused::D

4. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    In practice, the one setting their rates on the loads where the shippers tender is short due to HHMG miles would set their rate to cover their actual costs, obv. It is a legitimate complaint perhaps from a company drivers perspective that they are getting paid short if their company passes the HHMG miles on to them in their per mile pay, but if the contract is written that way, it is certainly understandable.

Alas, the world is imperfect and will likely remain so. If a driver doesn't like it, last time I checked, there are plenty of companies hiring.

Some drivers seem to be claiming that their company, regardless of the actual contract, pay their drivers something closer to actual miles. If so, that's great. I think some of these drivers have also reported lower CPM than market, which certainly makes sensr.

It's not like the margins in trucking are that big, this is a super competitive industry.

The correct solution to this issue, in a more perfect world, is to get shippers to quit using HHMG miles and adopt a new industry standard that reflects the shortest legal route. It's unclear to me that there is a way to force this, or that we should desire greater involvement by the authorities. Maybe OOIDA could see what it would take to get out of the stone age on this. Some of the biggest companies, like Wal Mart, would incur millions or tens of millions of dollars in costs or more to update their government size computer systems to a new standard, and as I understand it they don't want to do that.

If I'm not mistaken Swift, the largest mega, recently lost a $100M dollar class action lawsuit that is directly related to this issue. I am unaware of the merits of that case, but that's a pretty good sized chunk of change.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    This is why i prefer tonage pay to miles pay. Much harder to argue with a scale ticket then some obscure mapping software or method. Ticket says i have 23 tons on then i get paid 23 tons

6. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I'm assuming you haul rocks, dirt, aggregate or the sort. That is how your company figures their price...that's how you get paid. Most of the rest of us haul freight that the cost is figured but the mile...we get paid by the mile. Different sectors of the industry bid freight in different ways. Besides, if I was getting paid by the ton on my current load, 3219 lbs, from Eastern Tennessee to Calexico, I would probably owe the company several thousand dollars by the time I deliver it! Lol

7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    My company pays all miles loaded and empty. Whatever the odometer says is what it is. .60 per mile with 2500 mile per week guarantee.

From what I gather around here that’s sub par though.

Brettj3876 and Lucky12 Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Not at all. $1500.00 per week guarantee is above average in this industry for dry van or reefer. That is about what I make weekly, but at $.51 per mile it takes me 3000 miles to get it, no minimum guarantees either. Rarely do I get less than 3000 paid miles. Occasionally I can hit 3300-3400 paid miles. I am happy with my pay and my job. No complaints here.

Lucky12 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    23 tons? Light weight!

Love,

26 tons

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  10. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Oh i know, ive done it all. Been paid by the BBL by the mile, hub miles Z-Z miles, flat rate, hourly, number of loads, by the gallon, salary you name it. I still prefer being paid by the ton. Least stressful pay method imo.

@Frank Speak true but i also have a full size sleeper and 48 foot trailer :p i can actully go up to 24 but that puts me really really close to a conversation with the scale house and lots of places wont let you offload. So 23 ensures DoT can go flap in the wind most times.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  11. Saltyoldone

Saltyoldone Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Boise
    My last company told my current company I only had 48000 miles upon departing. The odometer said I had put a little over 55000 miles on the truck. Over a 5 month period I’d lost 7000 miles. It was always fun to see the dispatch saying x amount of paid miles. Then when I plug their route into the garmin it’d say that the distance was x+100 or more.

Much happier under the hourly system. As long as I keep the average mph over 55 and keep the on duty time to under 4 hours a day nobody bothers me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.