How to establish residency in another state

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mighty Bananas, Mar 27, 2019.

1. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Some companies will give you a bonus to relocate for certain accounts, usually paid out after 30 days on the account. Werner does it and I’m sure you can find similar offers at other companies. As stated above, you’ll need to trade in your CDL in the new state.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mighty Bananas

Mighty Bananas Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    No kidding?
    Werner though...hmm aren't they the worst of the worst? lol I'll look into it.
    Do you have any other companies that you can think of that do this.

4. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Nah, CR England is the worst of the worst! From what I read, they are as much worse than the next worst is like the next worst is worse than the best mega.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Find a company that you are interested in and call them. Tell them that you have a California cdl but that you want to get out of Cali. Believe me, they will understand. Then after you get settled change your cdl to the new state

SteerTire and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don’t know what kind of job you are looking to get. A smaller company that pays more would be better than a small relocation bonus. You’ll need to post where you want to live for anyone to give you recommendations.

As far as Werner goes, I can only recommend them if what they have works best for your situation and experience.

Just a side note. You are not likely to see a relocation bonus on a Werner account that doesn’t have a high turnover like Dollar accounts.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    The new ID requirements are putting the brakes on many people simply claiming an address change.

Myself and 2 others claimed residency in Washington, with only a physical address of a friend or drop box.

You can get a physical (fictional) address in almost any state that hasn’t upgraded their licenses to reflect the new requirements. But eventually the new ID requirements will catch up to you.

It took 10 minutes to obtain a WA state CDL. It took all day to replace it with my current state. Even though I have a home and 2 cars registered there.

9. Mighty Bananas

Mighty Bananas Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Called Werner.
    No dice.

I didn't go to one of their pre-approved schools...lol.

Boy, I'd like to think that I didn't have unrealistic expectations as far as how in-demand I'd be, but I'm getting a splash of cold water in my face.
    I'm sensing a lot of reluctance out there.

I have no idea the numbers or whatnot, but I wonder if there is a recent surge of people trying to get into trucking combined with a slowdown in freight causing a cooling off in demand.
    Sure seems that way. One company I'm trying to get with pushed ahead my on-board date two weeks because there was a surge of new drivers in the account I was trying to get.

10. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Do tell about these "Cheap Rooms" in Reno.. Since Elon Musk moved in and half of Sacramento started moving east a cheap 1 bedroom is hovering close to a grand in the bad part of town.

Vegas I don't know but Reno has gone insane.

11. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    All three as long as they all have the same address. I just did this myself.

I wanted to move, so I got a UPS mailbox which counts as a physical address ($250/year) then went to my bank, changed my address and had them send me a paper statement, then changed the address on my car insurance and had them send me new cards.

After I had them all with my birth certificate, social security card, and current CDL I was in and out of the dmv office of my new state within an hour or so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.