How to go local (without experience)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    +1 on the insurance issue, I got lucky at my first job, not only did I have to do local but I had to stay in mass for 3 years till I turned 21. I have never even been in a sleeper truck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Agree with the OP, its possible. I got my license through a private fleet for the company i work for Ive also been waiting on a spot to opeb up since narch.... tarting to look else where, being an extra gets old

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Craigslist & Careerbuilder for local jobs. First, ignore the part of an ad that says "X" number of years experience required. That is not written in stone. One time I worked for YRC Logistics (non-union) & they would occassionally hire recent grads for full time local work. I once worked for a union company that also hired recent grads for full time local work; actually had a choice of local or OTR. Both companies ads stated "2 yrs. experience required." Some drivers, like me, don't want local or regional work. I tried both and hated them & always went back to OTR quickly. The jobs are there, but you must be persistant in looking and putting in the applications. For example; get your tanker endorsement and you may land a local job hauling dry bulk cement to job sites of ready mix companies.

road_runner and knuckledragger Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. biggjerryc

biggjerryc Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2012
    lansdale pa
    I got hired in linehaul... When I interviewed, I told the manager (sean) straight up, I have never even driven a tractor trailer, but if you give me the chance to take a test drive ill impress you and make darn sure it is worth your time. And I did...

when I got back from the drive, the trainer said to Sean (he has never driven a truck, yet he can hook up, back up, and drives very well. All he needs is a little more time getting used to the gears for these kinds of trucks. His personal truck is a manual but this is a whole different world)

I will add that on top of asking for local jobs, a huge part of landing a job is presenting yourself. When I went in for my interview, even thought it is just a warehouse/driving job, I wore boots, nice jeans, a collared shirt and a collared pullover sweatshirt. I wore a nice watch and shaved. Presentation has A TON to do with landing a job, doesn't matter where you are going.

road_runner Thanks this.
  7. Rains83

Rains83 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2012
    nascarchuck

I live in Waxahachie. 30 mins south of dallas. The job you described yourself as having is exactly what Im looking for. What is the name
    of your company please?

8. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Check your PM's.

9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yeah, presentation is HUGE. I wore a polo shirt, khaki pants, clean work shoes, clean shaven, short hair cut, clean/trimmed nails (nothing speaks cocaine user more than those that have that extra long pinky nail). Don't wear a suit and tie, you are trying to get a DRIVER position, not a position to replace the person that is considering hiring you. Also, if asked to do a test drive, you can't do it dressed in a business outfit.

I changed my voicemail from "My phone is a piece of crap that won't get any signal, leave a message" to "Hey, you reached Shane, sorry I missed your call, please leave a message and number, and I will call you back as soon as possible". Don't use one of those stupid ringback tones that Verizon has. I even created a new email account just for my application firstname.lastname@yahoo.com

Also, don't chew gum during the interview, maintain good eye contact, focus all your answers on how you can better their company... Oh yeah, unless your wife is expecting that day, leave your mobile in your car.

Just think about the first time you met your in-laws. It is the same thing, except for daughter, change it to company truck with big carrier logo painted on the side. They don't know you, but you have to impress them enough to where they can trust you with an expensive truck, and all the freight that is inside of it.

During my interview, I brought along this:
    Photocopy of my CDL
    DOT physical
    Copy of my CDL school graduation certificate
    Copy of my driving record (current as of 30 minutes prior to my interview)... You can get that online with your state's DMV website.

Last word of advice... No matter how crappy your day is... You are HAPPY to be there... And you will treat everyone you run into with the highest form of respect. Some hiring managers will ask the receptionists on how you acted towards them when you walked in. I make over twice as much as our least senior dock worker, and I still treat him like the guy that hired me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    knuckledragger and jgremlin Thank this.
  10. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Everett, WA
    Old thread but GREAT info!

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  11. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Great thread. I recognized it after skimming through it again. Probably one that helped me out before I went to trucking school. After I read about linehaul, I knew that was the type of trucking I wanted to do. But I thought I'd need 1-2 years of OTR experience. I came to find out, through threads like these, that that was completely false.

Times have changed. LTL companies will and do hire student drivers with a fresh CDL A, and folks off the street without a CDL A. I've found that location trumps experience. I live in an area where I had over 1/2 dozen LTL companies to choose from when I finished trucking school. The North East is ripe with LTL, but there are pockets of LTL all over the country, and when there's one LTL company, there's usually another.

I landed my linehaul job right out of school, and hope that I'll retire from my company. One and done.

knuckledragger and road_runner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.