How to not be tired after long trips?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You just got to find the rhythm you want.
    Me I start at 4-5 AM work my day, then done.
    If it’s not good enough, let someone else do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think where you run has a bit of an effect on that too. Some drives will leave you more frazzled than others. If you never leave the New England coast for example, you’ll soon grow to hate driving.

Numb, Redtwin, Dan.S and 2 others Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve drove to Florida several times straight through. The trip south is easy. Leaving here at 2 AM means the only traffic you may encounter is a little in JAX.

Coming back in the other hand is tougher, because you’ll have the Washington suburbs to deal with in the afternoon.

5. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Yeah, it's just one of those things people tend to over complicate and then get scared of because they dont understand. When I used to train new guys, it's one of a handful of things I made sure they understood before going on their own. Reading a map and fully understanding the logbook and how to make it work for you, not the other way around were the two biggest things I focused on. Backing and shifting will come with time, so as long as they understood what they were doing, got out and looked, and knew how to make corrections they were good to me. Hell, I've been driving 10 years, it still amazes me the fact that I cant shift into the far upper right gear without scratching it. For some reason, my timing never seems to be right, no matter what truck or tranny set up I've driven (currently a 10 speed, so I scratch 9th almost every time), but I'm smooth as can be with all the other gears.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm going to politely disagree a bit with your assessment on this. I know this opinion will not be popular but I do believe it 100%. When you are driving a truck (CORRECTLY) you MUST be 100% focused on that truck and the vehicles around you. YES, this is MUCH easier to do say out on I-10 at 4 AM out near Van Horn Texas than out on I-95 on the Potomac drawbridge in DC at 5 PM on a workday. Easier, however, does not equate to less stress* in my book. For the record, I have seen many more fatal or near-fatal accidents involving CMVs out in places like Van Horn Texas, than a major populated area. This means somebody stopped doing their jobs because there was no apparent stress*. I will agree that driving a CMV in an area with reduced traffic lowers the chances of having an issue with another vehicle. I just contend that the act of driving regardless of location if done (CORRECTLY) will cause you to become mentally fatigued at some point. It's unavoidable.

* By stress, I am not talking about that sudden urge to find something to ram up somebody's rectum after they pull a major stupid. I am referring to the stress involved in simply doing the job.

7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    So.

What you’re telling us... is that laying in the air horn to everyone, just to keep them from doing something stupid is wrong?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm not sure I understand your point! I also don't quite understand how the misuse of a horn was part of anything I mentioned.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

NSFW due to language (one word) but this would be a good reason for usage of horn?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Anytime I had to drive around Chicago to Wisconsin, soon as I hit Indiana I cranked up the stereo with some good tunes and held my middle lane.

Melllow mmmmm. Mellow.

If I had to concentrate I would have killed most people with my mental powers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I don't either mainly because I keep my wallet and truck keys in my cargo pants, not because I'm worried about someone I don't know or care about, seeing me and passing judgement.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.