How to start MC with container and dry van

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Evilkh, Oct 23, 2021.

  1. Evilkh

    Evilkh Bobtail Member

    Sep 5, 2018
    hello everyone. i been working as owner operator about 5 years. now i want to get my own authority. does any one have any tips to start it.i heard some people say when i start own authority for dry van i can not haul or pull intermodal is it correct? can i start one MC and haul or pull dry van and containers? how can i get scac code if i want to start with container? how can i get load to haul? do i have to contact directly to jbhunt, swift, Ns or csx? Does they(jbhunt, swift...) provide rail bill for in gate?
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. georemo

    georemo Light Load Member

    Mar 28, 2020
    What kind of containers are we talking about? domestic 53ft or ocean 20/40/45 containers? big difference in requirements, and no you can't just get an authority and pull containers, it's a big headache, insurance is a lot more expensive for intermodal, now for a new authority insurance is already expensive and you don't wanna add intermodal specific coverages to it, it get astronomical.
    Each container or chassis is owner or leased by an EP, you will need to have an interchange agreement with each and every equipment provider before you can pull their equipment, Maersk for example will NOT have interchange with any carrier that has 0 roadside inspections.

    Now to the security clearance part, the driver needs to have a TWIC card, and be registered by the carrier in the intermodal driver database if they're doing rail ramp work, for port work it's TWIC alone, or TWIC plus sealink card in the case of NJ/NY ports, and trucks have to have a RFID transporder. plus no trucks older than 2010.

    And last but not least, no customer will send their container work order to a new operation, it's a pain to get work unless you've had 2 years in the niche and have references.

    Short answer is: it can be done but have a lot of money set aside before jumping in.
  4. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    [QUOTE="georemo, post: 11654091, member: 298749" plus no trucks older than 2010.[/QUOTE]

    That's 2010 engine; the emissions stuff for NY/NJ port is based on the year of the engine.

    Older units currently working are grandfathered; as long as they were active in Port Truck Pass within the prior 24 months, we just watched a guy buy an older truck, complete with RFID tag and showing in the PTP system and could not activate it as it had been siting on the dealer's lot for 30 months.

    They just killed the 96 and 97 year engines [after a 12 month COVID postponement] and the next round to die has not been announced; YET.

    There was a rash of 'misidentified' units, originally the system allowed the carriers to enter a newer engine year [2007 at that time] and once they figured it out, they now require an uploaded picture of the emissions label listing the 'Engine Family' code every time a change is needed; like a new license plate or new owner coming into our company, etc.
  5. roundhouse

    roundhouse Road Train Member

    Jul 11, 2018
    Containers are a giant pain in the neck and don’t pay very well.

    I’d avoid them , unless you have an exclusive shipper and some good paying cargo lined up
    Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted