How to tactfully back out of an orientation?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jesse24spd, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    WRONG!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    WRONG!

4. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Chinatown, You frequently say, and I am paraphrasing, "Apply to a bunch of companies, see what kind of responses you get" JFC!!! It's not like the OP is a no show at the Orientation.....He got a better offer in the mean time. Just tell the recruiter the effing truth.......I took another job! It only happens about a million times a day in this industry. You usually hand out solid advice.......Did the old lady piss in your Cheerios this morning!!!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Yes

blairandgretchen and Dockbumper Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Not all trucking companies lie to their drivers. That statement is insulting to the companies that play straight.
    We don't lie to our drivers. Sometimes it would be easier to make up some story but our people get the truth, whether they like it or not. Lying to your drivers is a short term gain but in the end it will ruin you. Pretty soon they start lying to you.
    Earning trust takes awhile, Destroying it takes just a second. I've seen it happen.
    And, to the people who advocate lying, how you do anything is how you do everything.

alds, jcrack08, p608 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Seems as if several drivers on this thread had their Cheerios peed in this morning. Probably all have some dirty secrets they won't admit to. Maybe dodged some scales or a magazine hidden in the sleeper or whatever. I read posts often that I disagree with, but don't go into a rage about it. Not that important in the big scheme of life.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    True, not all do. The word "all" shouldn't have been used.
    Plenty do lie though and we see this every day on this forum from drivers that were lied to.
    Anyway, that's enough for me on this subject.

9. copperdome

copperdome Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2019
    We're truckers... I didn't know we had to have tact!

10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    My life is an open book - Blair is my name, Gretchen is my wife. I’m easily found, have no secrets to hide.

Maybe that’s foolish, given that most are less naive than I in thinking the world is full of goodness.

It’s all that keeps me going forward - a belief that good conquers evil, that truth overcomes lies, on and on.

What we have here today, is a rebellion of advice to a new member about lying.

I appreciate the assistance you give to hapless newbies on companies and training, but personally will call you out on morals and ethics - in this case, promotion of dishonesty.

jcrack08, NightWind, Chinatown and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    @Chinatown and I have had these discussions before. He knows how I feel and I know and understand how he feels. @REO6205 is also right. I know for a fact many people that work for the megas in HR, recruiting, safety, and operations. I know most to be honest people that shoot straight when it comes to this job. However, there are many that don't. I had a situation shortly before my last surgery that out and out lied to me. I caught her in a lie and in the process got cussed out. So there are all kinds in this business. Unfortunately, this also applies to the drivers. I have always been an advocate for telling the truth. In this situation, honestly, it doesn't matter. They will toss the files and application and move on. Just tell them you got a better offer and thank them for their time!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.