How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgive me if this sounds like a gloat, because it’s certainly not my intention.

I read all the “we’re slow” talk and I’m having trouble believing it. Is that all over or just in certain areas? We have freight coming out of our ears and the sign out front says “hiring for city drivers”. I must have delivered about 100K lbs worth this week and yesterday one of our less popular dispatchers tried to pull me off my linehaul run I did this morning to go pick up 4 loads out of a nearby paint warehouse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Really light inbound, somewhat heavy outbound. Although Tuesday we did have like 17 bills go out which is insane.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I think it is regional. Some parts of the country are doing better than others, but overall many of us feel we are in a decline. It's kinda like my company. Our barn is busier than a three-legged dog trying to bury a bone in a frozen lake, but the company in general is in a death spiral.

Unfortunately it's a false sense of security for many of us.

5. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Live in Iowa bottom of the board is surviving blizzard to blizzard. Going to take a furlough, got a interview Monday to haul fuel. Gonna try that out for a few months, maybe longer if another round of furloughs happen in May/June.

jmz, road_runner and Digman943 Thank this.
  6. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I think something is going on with FXF. I’m out of a large hub and we are super slow. BUT in the Chicagoland area Dayton, ABF, Estes, Yellow, AAA Cooper, Central and R&L are all hiring right now. Kind of strange. I put in for the voluntary furlough and I’ll find out Monday if I got it. They cut more runs and the bottom 6-8 road drivers are already just working the dock full time because of the lack of freight. I’m not playing the work every other night game wasting a full day sleeping for no reason. I’m sure as hell not working the dock for 5-8 hours. So I’ll take my furlough and try out different things and possibly just change jobs. If I don’t at least I have a job waiting for me in 3 months.

7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    It's not a great time to be at the bottom of any board right now. There's ample volume for a guy with seniority, but it does just seem to dry up as it reaches the bottom of the board.

That's entirely natural, given that it's the post-Christmas lull. Come spring, things should rebound well I hope.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    At nearly $30 an hour or more??
    We've collectively become too entitled.

Texas_hwy_287 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    If I knew I’d get 8 hours it would be different. Could be 3 could be 6.

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Fuel hauling? Good luck with your upcoming interview! :wav: :salute:

Let us know how it goes......

Will it pay by the load? By the hour? Or something else?

Private fleet? Or a third party, instead?

--Lual

11. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    My run has gone from a triples trailers run to mostly doubles every night, last week it was doubles both ways until Friday and we actually ran triples, I took my meet three loaded and he brought me one loaded two empties, this week however got more bleak, was cut Monday for no freight, we ran Tue,Wed and Thurs just doubles trailers again with him giving me empties on Thursday, then yesterday there was freight to run but the company made the call to cancel all runs due to weather.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.