How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I have been using a Garmin Dezl the last 11 years. I run my Waze app constantly on the phone for traffic backups and occasionally if I go somewhere I am not familiar with the truck friendly detour options I run the Garmin. It works great for me with the ability to set my height as it changes depending on my load. Amazon was cheaper than anywhere else when I bought mine.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LPjunior1970

LPjunior1970 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I run waze for traffic and the hammer app works great for truck and hazmat routes

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    They’re bad influences on everybody. I forgot what it’s like to use one of those nasty steel liftgates until today. :eek:

Mike2633 and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Sorry for the late response. But the violations I had were wrong or missing placards. The most egregious one I had was poison mixed with food. The poison was in a sealed container and there was no way of it contaminating the food. But in the eyes of the law I was wrong.

Funny story since we are on the subject. My colleague pulled a placarded load and got pulled over by DoT. Officer came up to his cab and was like "I've been looking for a placarded load all day, you almost made it to the end of my shift. Let's go ahead and get all of your papers and then meet me at the back of your trailer".

The officer then had him open the trailer door and he parkoured his way to the very back, climbing over freight like a military obstacle course. He had his flashlight going shipment to shipment until he found the hazmat load. "Ahah! Get up here driver". He then pointed out the IBC tote that was squished between two tall pallets.

"I see you got your load blocked, but it is not braced. There is no cargo strap"

-Umm sir, I didn't load this trailer. Besides, the freight is wedged. How am I supposed to get a strap around the tote if I can't access the e-track rail?

"Tough titties, the freight is blocked but not braced. Gonna cite you for that. I got a bit more time to kill. So let's see if there are any defects with your truck".

He then did the full 9 yards inspecting everything. He made it painfully obvious that he was trying to kill time till the end of his shift. He released my coworker almost an hour later with a hazmat citation.

My coworker was in a world of pissed off you wouldn't understand.

'You burned up almost an hour of my day. I am so far behind on my route, I don't have enough time to get to my first stop, much less have room for pickups. You've gone and pissed me off so much that I don't want to drive home. Go and put my out of service so I can ride home in a wrecker"

' nah, I already cited you for your hazmat. Have a great day

"My city horn don't work, I have an audible air leak by my air dryer, and my turn signal indicator lights don't work"

- excuse me?

"Yeah, that's all the crap you missed on your roadside inspection. Now put me out of service:.

- Have a great day sir

SC Transport Patrol is the WORST.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    hammer app. owners of ttr created it. its free.

but I also run a garmin dezl 580

LPjunior1970 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Can't go wrong with the Garmin DEZL 770. Only issue is ours outdated compared to new ones that update over WiFi. I've been using it since my first solo run in my career. Never broke, never failed, and Garmin customer support is awesome on my experiences.

Digman943 Thanks this.
  8. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    End of the road finished my last run today at 0330am.
    DA4F76D4-DFF9-4244-BCA4-EC4774C7B240.jpeg
    Parked the truck, went in the shed and left my hand held, keys and comdata card in the shed. Logged onto my hand held and punched out my route and then turned my hand held off. That’s it over and done with 8 years at Gordon’s is over.

Monday first thing in the morning I’m officially one of you guys now hauling for ABF.

9. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Dang man 8 years...

What was the incentive to get you to go to ABF?

Old_n_gray and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I’ll private message you that I can’t say publicly there was an incident that I did not feel was handled correctly and it left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn’t some small nothing thing.

McUzi and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  11. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Welcome aboard brother!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.