How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My brother works 4 days a week delivering beer.

From what he’s told me about that, I wouldn’t want any parts of that. First thing, he doesn’t go far enough away from the barn. Second, sometimes he’ll get to his first stop, unload their stuff, and then load 3-4 skids worth of empty kegs to take back and have to work around all day. That would put me in a foul mood in a hurry.

You’re right. It isn’t for everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LPjunior1970

LPjunior1970 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Back when I first started doing beverage in the 90’s we had to pick up empties at a redemption center after we emptied our truck for the day. That kinda sucked but they paid us a few extra bucks. The thing I liked best about the work was the interaction with some of the customers. Some of these people became like family after 20 plus years of calling on them. I still hunt and fish with a few of them to this day. LTL linehaul pays me a ton more money than delivering soda ever did but it’s boring work imo.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    road_runner, MACK E-6 and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  4. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    That's why I ran the board for so long. Doing the same thing every day does get repetitive!

LPjunior1970 Thanks this.
  5. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    I've been on the same route for 3 years now and it's like that with my customers. Like cheers everyone knows your name and is happy to see you. Two days a week I get to run a lot of miles which gets me most of my hours. One day I'll run 350 miles with 6 stops. The next day I'll run almost 400 miles with 8 stops.

6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That's one thing I miss about running Butte Montana. It's a one horse town and there is no backup to bail you out. I am thankful that my barn trusted me with that run for that many years.

I remember having a steady customer base with a few of them showing up to my wedding two hours east in Livingston. I also remember shedding some tears when the old man at H&R recycling passed.

It sucks when you get good at something and then you move.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, it’s never a good thing when you need help with your Butte. :biggrin_25523:

JoeyJunk and lual Thank this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i need to warn everyone that i spent about 9 hours total this past long weekend sleeping. That is above and beyond my normal nighttime sleep. So, friday, saturday, a sunday nite normal sleep and then 9 more hours spread out over the weekend additional sleep-----and still tired this morning.

My point is, while the numbers and benefits may look and be good (i'll post another check soon), we all have to be aware of the TIME it takes to make those numbers.

Let me reiterate that i basically have enough time to come home, eat, maybe briefly f around on the computer--like right now, and then go to sleep and do the same dam thing again.

1) If your commute is more than 30 mins one way, then you're really pushing it.

2) You may, like me, be doing some "catch up" sleep on the weekends----this further takes away from the supposed hometime advantage of local.

3) Shorties: You may be going to your kid's games, and that's great. But if you're pulling more than 8 hours a day consistently, doing 50-60hrs a week, maybe not getting the right amount/enough sleep, then it's going to catch up to you eventually.

We need to take in consideration the TIME it takes to make the numbers.

9. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Agreed. I worked Saturday and Sunday but decided not to push it and run Monday. I wanted to but our time is valuable and we can spend it all in the truck!

10. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Just various notes here. i will catch up with more detail on the weekend, maybe.

1) i think the 14hr (and 16 hr day once a week!) total on-duty rule actually HURTS local drivers---because companies know and will work the crap out of you..... Not so much OTR drivers, because the object is to travel as far as possible.

2) i think you need to "decompress" after a day's work. For at least 1/2 hour, maybe 1 hour. Sitting in front of the computer, you tube, playing video games, playing guitar, going for a jog etc. With a 55-60+ hr work week, there's not much time for that. Is B.S.'ing on the computer like i'm doing right now counting for "decompression" time?

3) Well, i really didn't get much decompression time , because i have to go to sleep NOW----because she wants more out of me.
    My new thing is to go to bed at a set time to when i need to get up and it should be 8 hours. For example, if i start at 7, that means i need to get up at 6, which means i need to be in bed by 10 (10p to 6a is 8 hours). This means whatever i need(or wanted) to do---chores, cleaning etc. etc. Including here on the computer etc.... That stops no matter what at a set time 9 hours before my start time.
    My problem was i was always trying squeeze one more thing in and it was really affecting my sleep.

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  11. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I should have took another furlough. They cut more runs and it’s even slower. Can’t even hold a crappy bid. Looks busy if you’re a PT driver since my yard looked like a pilot with all the different trucks this morning. Pisses me off too because I’m seeing more day cabs pulling PT trailers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.