How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Quick question. And I don't want to start a new thread to ask this.

I got a job offer that I've since turned down. Part of that process is to take a drug test that is pending. If I don't show up, will that count against me? I have zero intention of accepting the position but I still have this open untaken test. Would that count against me as a refusal?

Should I take the test anyway and cost my previous potential employer for something I have zero interest in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nmill

nmill Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I was wondering the same thing I hate when all the jobs you applied to come at you and you have to pick one. Luckily I’m not in that situation but would love to know. Peeing in a cup tomorrow though lol

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

Talk to them and see. In a perfect world it's a no harm, no foul. Problem with a pre-employment is the company can still report it as a refused if they are so inclined. I know it's kinda a pain, but might as well go do it just to be safe.

Old_n_gray and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    @ZVar pretty much summed it all up, but I want to address this part of your question. Allow me to give you a brief review of the process. This process generally applies to all transportation employees subject to part 49 CFR, Railroad employees as well as Truckers. Regardless of the type of test be it a pre-employment, random, or for-cause test, the key is once that chain of custody form has been filled out and the person being tested has started the process leaving the testing site is considered a refusal to test. The person handling the test will mark the refusal on the chain of custody form and send it to the MRO. It is the MRO that will add your name to the Clearinghouse.

If by pending test you are talking about an orientation don't worry about it, just don't go. If you are sent by the carrier to a clinic I suggest going and see if they have you listed. If they do go on ahead and test.

Lumper Humper and ZVar Thank this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    If it’s a driving job, then yes I’d probably do it just to be safe. You have nothing to lose by doing it except an hour of your time, but a lot more to lose if they consider it a refusal.

lual, Texas_hwy_287, Cardfan89 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    @road_runner declining the offer without doing a screen is no issue.

Otherwise I’d have had no less than 4 refusals in my background.

9. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    It is your Cdl, if it were me I would take the test even if I had to pay for it. Think it is a gray area, I wouldn't take the chance with my livelihood.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    About 2 years ago I was speaking to a guy that was finishing up the SAP process and was happy to be back driving. I asked him what happened. He told me that he walked into the HR/Safety dept of the carrier and was offered a job. After discussing the job there were some aspects he did not like. So he declined the offer and walked out. Well unbeknownst to the man the carrier had filled out the chain of custody form and started the secure testing as set out by part 40. They listed him as a refusal to test and he tried for 6 months to get that BS removed. There is no appeal language in the testing. In frustration, the guy finally hired a SAP who helped him get back qualified.

This experience is why I tell drivers NEVER to enter a carrier's property for any reason unless you are 100% planning to drive for them. This is where most drivers get into trouble.

I'm going to state this one last time. There is no appeal process in part 40 for having this done to you. It is the carrier that determines when the testing process starts.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    As far as I’m concerned any a-hole outfit that stoops to this kind of dirty pool needs to outed right here in this community.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.