How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    no exaggeration, I haven’t seen a FXF posting in my area in over a year. Same for TForce and ABF. Yellow had postings here right up until they went under.
    XPO has has the same position up every few months. It’s obviously a bottom extra board spot, and I guess that spot is only getting 25-30 hours a week or so, so people keep moving on. Even Central hasn’t posted in about 6 months.
    All the LTL barns here are small; around 9-10 P&D drivers, and maybe 2 Linehaul spots. The Linehaul spot I landed at OD had about 150 applicants, and it looks like this will be the first year that they don’t hire a new P&D driver in a long time (according to the guys there).
    There’s hardly enough work for who’s working, let alone who’s looking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Yezzir.

4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Are you guys all slow? I've been counting LTL trucks and right now it's now what it used to be.

5. NvySwmr626

NvySwmr626 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2023
    Small terminal with a couple big accounts, so we’re not swamped, but everyone’s working steadily.
    I run back and forth to Rialto and Irwindale every night, as do most LTL carriers in SoCal. I see a lot of FXG and UPS which is normal this time of year (yes, I know they’re not really LTL). Otherwise, I definitely don’t see ABF every night like I used to. I see Estes maybe once every night, and the same for FXF. Saia maybe every other night. I’m aware they run more than I see, but that I’m not seeing them as much tells me volume is significantly down.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    We're not slow at Estes from where I'm at. I've been hoping my run gets cut but nope... Working every day. They've even got the volunteer sheet up!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I'm on the Ohio turnpike ABF traffic was down significantly on the Ohio Pike early this week. Same with XPO and the like. Estes is very prolific on the Ohio Pike and I haven't seen them nearly as much. FedEx Freight, Estes, XPO were the real big players and they have all seemed to drop off a bit. OD, Saia, ABF and T-Force I don't see as much right now. I have it on good authority that volume is down a bit at ABF in my region so were seeing the same thing just on different sides of the country. Granted I can't see everything but I know who passes me at night and there would be some nights I would get passed by 6-7 Estes trucks. This that's been almost non-existant.

Right now the people who are going the heaviest are the food service carriers, which is who I work for. I pull doubles for a food service company. I think Anderson-Duboise out of Lordstown, Ohio (McDonalds and Chipotle) are the most prolific besides the company I work for, we have a lot of doubles and some big drop yards we move close to 67 trailers a night sometimes more when were going full tilt.

8. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    this. volunteer to work weekends? no thanks.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Right.
    "There were a few reasons why I took this job, and one of them was so I could have my weekends off."
    That said, we had weekend runs to Atlanta that paid about $200 for the trip. No time limits, just get there and back before Monday morning. 99% interstate. Pretty sweet run if you did it right.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I could deal with that. Roll out at 2 AM and be back by 9.

That would certainly beat what I did Saturday.

Albertaflatbed, Mike2633 and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Right. That's what he did. He usually worked the inbound dock and was gone by noon or so on Friday. Gets up early on Saturday, make the turn and back home by noon or so. $200, like free money to him.
    Because, probably like you @MACK E-6, on Saturday, there is no drama or BS. Just hook a set, drive to Atlanta, drop and hook and come back. Easy peasy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.