Hubbie and wife, brand-spankin' new, and tons of questions...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by andyjk9, Oct 20, 2008.

1. andyjk9

andyjk9 Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Whitehall, MI
    No offense taken on the hijack. Actually, quite a good one.

I am actually in the "No Worker Left Behind" program at the prodding of he head of the local CDL school. I had to get into the program at the next county south's Michigan Works office, as the one where I live refuses to issue funding for CDL class. Problem#1. I've taken all of the tests, and received my gold star (whatever that means), and have been assigned to a career manager. I think that they've forgotten that I used to be a state employee and know what lazy pigs they can be. Next CDL class starts next Monday, and I haven't heard a peep from career manager. Following class does not start for another 5 weeks. I'm not waiting that long.

Next problem: Wife is Puerto Rican, and speaks 2 languages, but is master of none. She is not a very good test taker, but I believe that she will take CDL test just fine. She's having a hard time with figuring out what percentage of Johhnie's paycheck goes to FICA and Medicare on the test>

I simply think that trying to get the funding for her is a waste of time and energy. I believe that we are going to have to spend a year being someone's bit%*, and then we will have a proven track record of OTR experience. I realize that I am going to have to let someone train me, treat me like a piece of meat, and pay me crap for a year in order to get where I want us to be. I'm just trying to minimize the damage/maximize the pay.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    kimmeegoose

Really sorry about what happened to you folks at the unemployment office. I will say that my office did discourage me from going for my CDL, citing the fact that most people don't like it. LOL, they even sent me to this board!

I stayed with the plan, though, and they came through. They told me later (after I'd been approved and all) that they do that for EVERY job - they want to make sure you aren't just grasping at straws and that you have actually given the new job some thought.

That's probably what's SUPPOSED to happen everywhere. Obviously, some places are less.. um.. workable than others.

And you were right to inject your experiences into the thread. Obviously, just because Mgassel and myself had good experiences, doesn't mean you did or Andy will. He should be aware that it's not just a walk-in/walk-out guarantee.

Andy - I feel for your wife. Mine's the same way, without the language barrier. She's horrible at taking tests. As a result, she studies her.. um.. studies very hard and eventually ends up doing quite well. And, because she studies so hard, she knows the material a whole lot better than I do.

Yeah,I take tests well.

All in all, if I were an employer (again), I'd much rather hire her than me.

I'm not sure, though, that passing on getting your wife the funding is a good idea. Or at least, trying to. Let's face it - driving a truck is not rocket science. Take a stab at it - they might come through (I had a gentleman in my CDL class who was Afghani - spoke English quite well, but reading it was another matter. He came in through WIA). The worse they can do, of course, is say "no" and she's only had to invest some time. And she can try again at a later date, if the first time through doesn't work out.

You are right, of course, that the first year will be the hardest. But if you are careful and have a good record, you stand a good chance of hiring on with a company that will treat you like humans. I would apply *first* at places like May Trucking and Watkins and Shepard - and others like them. What I call "mid-sized" - about 1000 trucks. They hire school grads and treat them well. (Experience at May, talking to others about W&S). Who knows, after a year, you might like them well enough to stay.

4. zeba town

zeba town Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Gwinn mi
    No worker left behind paid for my training including my licence, tests and day care while at school. of course the woman who helped at michigan works is married to a trainer at Roehl. He is also listed as my referral when i started at Roehl last month.

5. zeba town

zeba town Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Gwinn mi
    I just spoke to a couple of teams from covenant. They trained together at covenant and were even in the same training truck. the trainer slept on the top bunk and the couple did all the driving.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If your on unemployment you should be able to get truck school covered. As far as Companies: Marten is probably the best way for a husband wife to go, I base this on alot of years of hearing of listening to tears. IMHO

7. dwayne

dwayne Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Whoa, that sounds like a real super idea. 2 rookies + 1 80,000lbs truck = bad news. :smt064

8. andyjk9

andyjk9 Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Whitehall, MI
    Well, Dwayne, I would hazard a guess and state that you did not come out of your mother's womb shifting gears. In other words, you were a 'rookie' once too. Someone once trusted you with that 80k# when you were inexperienced. What makes you any better than me/us?

For those of you that suggested it, I met with career manager yesterday, and, after I hand in 3 pre-hire letters, my funding will be approved. Will probably start school on 11/24.

I am looking forward to it.

9. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Well, you sound like someone with a brain, so I think you'll be okay, whatever it takes.

10. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Not necessarily. They can work on each other's strengths. He seems coherent, so I don't see why, after training, they can't continue to teach each other. As long as common sense hangs around...

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    He's only stating that you could never get the training you need. Don't expect your CDL school to teach you anything but to get your CDL. You need someone that will take the time to teach the both of you and you need a trainer that has good experience. Yes, were we all rookies at one time or another. But some of us had the proper training so when we came down a 6% grade fully loaded we didn't kill ourselves or any one else. There's so much more to driving a truck than just shifting the gears and getting from point A to point B. And you must know to make the good money in this business your record needs to be clean. So you both need a seasoned driver to help you.

andyjk9 and Lurchgs Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.