Husband and wife team starting with R&L Carriers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by IndianaMike, Sep 13, 2014.

1. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Are trucks still running 73? Tired of being bored at 65. Will do my a proper research before I move on again. Will try not to take anything under 70mph if it can be helped.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaMike

IndianaMike Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Our team trucks go 72mph. Daycabs are 68mph

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  4. Pam in MN

Pam in MN Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Hubby and I are teaming at R+L. Our run pays $409 each way. Farmington MN to Crawfordsville IN. More if we go further. We’re grossing over $2000 each weekly.

CorsairFanboy and IndianaMike Thank this.
  5. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    Awesome. Might look into them for the near future. I want to do more research on the rest. Do you know of you guys are the fastest? Do you get passed by FedEx? Or Estes? Or ABF?

6. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    We pass all . FedEx contract teams are set right under us but still get past them. Odfl runs 68 as well as Estes. ABF is 65 I believe. They are also Teamsters. Ups teams are union also and set at 72

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  7. CorsairFanboy

Feb 19, 2018
    Great to hear. Thanks for the info. I'm not going to base my decision on top speed alone but it does really get old fast and frankly unsafe and stressful quite often being lumped together in the 64-65mph crowd. As someone who likes to run and drive as many miles as I can possibly (legally and safely) run, it will really be very enjoyable to be able to go 70+

I did 660 miles today in 10:50 with a 65mph truck. I'll be teaming with my wife soon and maybe when she gets her year (I'll have a little over 5 years exp at that point) we'll probably be looking for an ltl job where we can make the most amount of money for our efforts in the industry.

I'd like for her to get comfortable first before we gotta run 6500+ miles a week. Dont want to overwhelm her.

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep an eye on the thread for updates and what not.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  8. Saddletramp2112

Saddletramp2112 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Illinois
    Me and My wife are team driving now, is there a bed mattress you can recommend for softening the bumps to aid in sleeping while the trucks in motion. Thanks

9. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    We bought a 3 inch memory foam topper at walmart. It really helps with all the bumps. We lay it on top of cheap factory mattress. We place our fitted sheet on the topper only. That way when we have to switch we just grab the topper and place on the other trucks bed.

10. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    In salt lake they had a billboard for a minute with a 2k dollar a week guarantee for team drivers ( each ). I ran Wamsutter turns for R and L as a solo for a month . Nice folks but dispatch was ate up . Gate Times were always 3 hours late . They never paid me to wait . My fuel badge at the yard hardly ever worked and the dispatch had to pull a beat up Comdata card out of a filing cabinet every time I couldn’t fuel there . Had to wash my own truck and build my own sets when the yard dog was too lazy and the pay was kind of low at 239 a turn . The truck was ok , a newer Pete . Monday thru Friday night was nice though , 8 hour shift

11. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Its far from perfect here Somedays are better than others. We were told when we hired on that the pay was per run if we did sit waiting that its included in rate pay.. 3hrs free every night is ridiculous Teams can make 2000 plus each and a lot do. A team I run into out of Wilmington make 2500 a week each but turn 1400 miles day. Wife and I turn 1050 a day and get 1860 each. We are happy with that since we go home for 4 hrs every day. We have an RFID tag on our truck for fueling. Works real well for us .

line Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.