I-17 Flagstaff to Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Thanks boss !

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I guess I gots a video to watch tonight.

Thank you! Been trying to recall that durn hills. (Plural) there is even a canyon by one of them too.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Hey hey hey hey hey... I resemble that remark!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I-17 south was my first time driving a truck in the mountains. I was with a trainer and was scared ****less of overheating the brakes. I was also worried the truck was going to overheat on the big hill as the needle approached the red section. Few months later I did it at night solo and it was a breeze.

Dave_in_AZ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's not much well.. I guess you might be a little concerned on a series of hills like that.

I remember now the Sonora and Camp Verde Sonora is rather important as it curves a little and falls into a steepish section where you have to watch it. There were the saddles where you could pick up the lost marbles and reorgainze for the next drop.

One very big difference between this video from Scottie67 compared to my more conservative running with a manual truck, ... this is absolutely in no way a affront towards scottie. But I would have had that manual rig (Usually a rockwell 9 short which is one of my favorites) down at about 30 to 40 somewhere in there closer to 30 sometimes.

Another new thought introduced by the video is starving the turbo. I don't understand how it is possible to starve a turbo provided the engine maintains oil pressure within temperature limits. If I understood him, he did not want to allow the engine beyond 1700 in jacobs towards his red line at about 2200.

My thinking is that a engine works equally hard producing power to go forward and over come inertia or retarding power against the momentum, weight of the load pushing it downgrade. Im fairly certain horses come out equally both ways.

What you do not want to do is park, and instantly shut engine off without idling several minutes to cool turbo or until the pyrometer settles down to cold idle temp or as close as possible within a more reasonable time no longer than 10 minutes.

I understand today's turbos are composed of more moving parts and so forth beyond the Neanderthal clubs we used in our time.

Fear is good. Ability to accept the fear for what it is, a primal body emotion, put it away and continue to function mentally without panic, freezing up or a vareity of other problems that will get you or someone killed. I will be the first to tell you that aint no one done great things to help themselves and or others without being absolutely scared witless.

If I was to tell you the last time I was scared bad, I would be embarrassed to say that my knees knocked. I don't do knees. But that was how the body managed to express it. It was not welcome. Takes away the man card. However that particular situation worked out well for all concerned. But it was a very near thing.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    For the true Arizona hill experience you need to go through Show Low and down the US 60.

8. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Uh no, you need to go 60 to 177 south to 77 through Kearny and Hayden. Marked 10% grades with 20 mph curves. Live a little ... I did it about 160k gross and it was a little slow

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    That’s some fun drive, yep. Used to run out of asarco going north.

10. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I was a surprise to me

Some said hey will you run up and load a drill rig for me? Sure how bad could it be it’s only 80 miles up there

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.