I-70 closure in Colorado

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by striker, Aug 2, 2021.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Here is a unique look at where it all came from

MACK E-6, zaroba, Hammer166 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho

There appears to still be alot of material ready too come down... I'm betting this will continue to happen with major rain events in the future, especially with a fresh wash having destabilized the bottom of that draw.

JoeyJunk and Team818 Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Independence Pass, what a freakin' joke, matter of fact, there's nothing funny about it. and a classic example of CDOT with their heads where the sun doesn't shine. Being a dirt eatin' farmboy from flatland Wisconsin, we just don't have mountain roads to contend with, but on a ride to Rifle, instead of going the Leadville/Minturn route, ( Hy. 24)which IS a truck route but won't get you around the canyon closure, and open all year, I looked at the map, hmm, this Independence Pass seems to cut a whole corner off,,,NOT. 1st, there are signs that indicate 30ft. length max, and is strictly enforced, 2nd, that has to be the most dangerous road I've ever been on, right out of Peru, single lane in spots, with no guardrail, and a 500ft drop, and it's busy. 2 vehicles can't fit, and someone has to back up, causing even more chaos. Most are curious travelers with their RV's.Then, if you DO make it, it plops you right in the middle of Aspen and what a mess THAT is. I tell you, Colorado, I've found, has the absolute worst roads for the amount of volume. It's as if they have their head in the sand as to how many people this area attracts. Independence Pass, 3 lane highways, truck runaway ramps just past a 35 mph curve( Monarch Pass) and that's just in my area.
    We've been getting a lot of rain in spots, causing rock slides in Glenwood Canyon closing I-70, and the only way around it, is going south to hit Hy. 50 west to Grand Junction. I swear, these yuppie tree huggers here better start investing their dope money ( almost $300 mil/year) into their roads and not police cruisers ( that sit) and rescue apparatus to pick up these idiots that wander off into the hills wasted,,color me not happy with Colorado.:biggrin_25513: Give me Michigan anyday,,,

6. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    What about US40, as an alternative??? I've run it before and its a pretty decent road.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I came down from Cheyenne thru Denver headed for Topeka. US 40 is the suggested route on the overhead signs all the way down. The signs say it's a 4+ hour drive right now

bentstrider83 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yeah never mind... If that is the suggested detour then there is no way in hell I'd take it, at least not in the day light. It's a nice drive when theres not any traffic, but it would be a nightmare with most of the I-70 traffic detoured to it.

Team818 Thanks this.
  9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Yeah, Independence pass is really only fun on two wheels. I've done it in a motorhome that was barely legal and still remember the roller coaster ride.

Team818 and 201 Thank this.
  10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I went through on Tues 7/27 after the first slide when they were still cleaning up. You could see where the mud and debris came down the mountainside and went across I-70. In Utah, between Salina and the turn-off for Moab, a flash flood went across I-70, also. They must have gotten some heavy downpours for that to happen. That would be a scary thing to drive into at nighttime. Not something you would expect on an interstate.

Team818 Thanks this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The "official" detour I read about on the Landline site adds over 100 miles and since it is all two lane and will have a lot of traffic it ain'y gonna be fun:

Westbound motorists from Denver area exit I-70 at Exit 205 (Silverthorne) and travel north on Colorado Highway 9 towards Kremmling. Travelers will continue west on U.S. Highway 40 and then south on CO 13 to complete the alternate route and return to westbound I-70 at Rifle (Exit 90). Eastbound travelers can detour using the same route in reverse.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.