I am thinking about going to cdl. Don't know if I can get hired?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gpickering, May 22, 2024.

1. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Your age/location would help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wanted to take a few minutes to delve further into this matter. Basically, with epilepsy in the brain's wiring, the red wire is connected to the blue wire. In normal folks that wire is connected to the green wire. But, from time to time even with normal folks that wiring can get screwed up and they can have a seizure. The thing to think about when discussing Seizures in particular and Epilepsy in general is triggers. My two primary triggers are Standard Deviation and noise like fluorescent light hums. In fact, per Doctors' orders, I am not allowed to have fluorescent lighting in my home. I linked Standard Deviation to better explain what it is. I sometimes have issues with deep friers in restaurants. In fact, about a year before she got married Keri had to call 911 and get me help because I went into full Convulsive Status Epilepticus. I came close to death that day. All because of a loud grease fryer.

So, as an epileptic, you should be under the care of a Neurologist and LET THAT Physician make the decision if you can ever operate a CMV.

I don't mind telling everyone that I sat and cried like a baby when I learned my driving career was over. I had already accepted a job working in Safety, but had to tell the VP over the phone I was unable to do the job. The next few months were dark ones.

4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Based on what I know, no reputable trucking company is going to assume the risk of hiring you at this time based on your current and past history. Accident(s), DWI, violent criminal record. Check the following -
    • Construction
    • Railroads
    • Maritime Industry
    • Amazon Warehouse
    • Forklift Operator
    • Cold storage warehouse
    • Warehouse Selector
    • Airport Ramp Agent
    • IT Technology
    • X Ray Technician
    • Medical Transcriber

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I am all for someone trying to better themselves.

They’ve already talked about the epilepsy and that’s a no go. But even if the epilepsy is taken out of the equation, the misdemeanors and the casual look at fender benders make it seem as if you have a tendency to do stoopid things.

Trucking isn’t what you really want to do, trucking is what you want to do because you got fired and need employment. Anyone serious about trucking would be serious about driving, and would have a driving record that reflects that.

What is it that you really want to do?

6. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I believe another one bit the dust

TripleSix Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Didn't know this about you Moose - real sorry to hear. That's gotta be tough.

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Here's the thing. I am in my mid-60s. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, I have been in every US state. I have almost 600 hours of flight time in my logbook. I have seen and done things all over the US. Sure I have a few things on the bucket list, but such is life. I consider every day I don't see my obit in the paper as a great day. I have a beautiful daughter and a beautiful grandbaby. My Son In Law is on a clear path to make Colonel soon and has already been advised to get some fork and knife things done and he stands a good chance to maybe pin a star on one day. Part of that is why he now works in the XVIII Airborne Corps HQ. I also have come across some great folks in all my days on the road. I have also met several members of TTR in person.

Yes, being forced to retire. Being forced to give up my independence because of losing my ability to even drive a POV is tough. But, very few days go by that a friend is not calling me and taking me places. Yes, it's tough, but when life closes a door life has a way of opening other doors.

I'm a survivor. I figure that as long as I am sucking air somewhere I can be of help!

Numb and Eddiec Thank this.
  9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Sounds like the same thing the army recruiter in high school told almost exactly you just left out the women part

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.