I can’t pass you, so you’ll make room

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by IluvCATS, Feb 26, 2018.

1. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Passing on the right now?

tinytim and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    Scenario realism 101: if you find yourself unable to complete the pass, regardless of how you ended up out there in the left lane (moved over to let a guy merge, hills, lighter/heavier load, etc), if there are cars stacked up behind you and then you attempt to back off and "get back in behind," about 50% of those stacked up cars will immediately start spilling around you on the right, further agrivating the whole situation. Why someone in the right lane cannot back off 2 mph for 5 seconds is beyond me. Does 273' in 11 hours really make the difference on whether you'll be able to send your kids to college?

Zeviander, JC1971, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If you cannot pass with ease, wait until that Hammer Lane is totally clear and then try to get by. If it gets to a point to where both of you are at a stalemate, hurry up and get back to the right hand lane

IluvCATS, PacoTaco and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. jaxwinner

jaxwinner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Barton Arkansas
    *sees a line of cars in the left lane and a obstacle trying to pass another obstacle. taps brakes to back off 71.4 cruise and gets in the left hand traffic jam.

As soon as the obstacles figure out they cant pass each other and get in the right lane again bumps cruise to 73.3 and flows on past.

Lepton1 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    To me, to expect the person you're trying in vain to pass, to expect them to slow down for you is a classic case of "Princess Syndrome Disorder". It is an entitlement attitude that everyone must bow down and acquiesce to a passer no matter if they are overall slower than the one they are passing ie. say the passer who was governed slower than the one they would like to be passing, but gets a tailwind going downhill to exceed the speed limit and wants to settle in front of the passee going slower than the speed limit once in front. It is a clear sign of a weak minded person to expect and demand others to slow down for them.

tinytim and ZVar Thank this.
  7. Flacrkr

Flacrkr Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2017
    It's 100% on you. You have no business attempting that pass. That said I'll slow down to let the idiot pass me ONLY because I'm not going to screw everyone unlucky enough to be stuck behind him.

stwik, UturnGirl and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Uh oh...:biggrin_25524:

Someone doth protesteth too much. :biggrin_25523:

Lepton1, spyder7723, Opus and 2 others Thank this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    We all break our own rules on occasion. ;)

11. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    As if no one has ever ran up onto another truck and for whatever reason, AFTER initiating the pass that same said truck finds more speed. It's a lot more complicated than simply proclaiming "don't initiate the pass if . . . " especially when your speed hasn't changed 1 foot per hour, but the clown you ran up on rather suddenly on the right varies his every 5 seconds. And "entitlement attitudes" work from either lane, and either perspective. You aren't entitled to never lift. Refusing to lift for even 500' seems like that would make someone also a Princess. Even if a driver feels like "that other guy is not doing it right, but I am doing it right," does that justify snarling up 10 other cars or trucks for 10 minutes, out of some sort of "principal?" Exactly what is wrong with the world we live in today.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.