I didn't know running over a curb counts as a preventable accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    I've asked this but safety never can actually answer, "well how would you have done better than I did ?? You're in your cozy office watching a camera, im actually there assessing everything going on, avoiding cars, watching pedestrians, watching my speed, " same with a few times that I made a tight u turn and crunched a fairing...apparently that's an accident too.....they're so petty when I didn't even hit anything but myself lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    he would be fired by me, had he lied about it, or was as you say a problem child and had many other incidents or accidents.

here's the thing, the camera "caught him", so he is guilty of curbing an expensive tire, maybe even damaging a wheel. those things cost the company...no..??? or are they free..???

he must have signed papers like we all did, when we get hired. the company has rules, and since the camera caught him, he violated at least one of those rules.

if you @REO6205 fired just one driver, for messing up one of your trucks, that sends a message to the others to be on thier toes, and professional.

brings me back to my earlier years, and a local LTL company here, Taylor & Taylor..

they had a race car division. they had a Mack cab over, trailer and race cars, pit crew, and tools, equipment.

one of the many things the owner of the company said to me, when i went to apply.??

"you damage the truck, trailer, cars inside, you're fired".....

what do you suppose that guy wanted, for his expensive set up...??

a monkey behind the wheel, or a PROFESSIONAL.??

bottom line, the O/P, GOT CAUGHT, curbing a tire, and to his company, that IS an accident.....

end of discussion really......

4. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree

5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the problem here is, even though many drivers have "curbed a tire", how many were caught like the o/p was..??

if a company has it spelled out in the company hand/rule book, of what is an accident, incident, then the o/p violented that rule policy.

pure, plain and simple.

you cannot debate company policies, and getting CAUGHT, via proof of pictures or video or an event monitor on board.

you can only debate company policies when someone thinks he saw something

fact of the matter is, the o/p got CAUGHT. he violated company policy

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i don't have to show you, that's YOUR job, as the PROFESIONAL

and if anyone is an o/o and curbs a tire, think he's gonna cry a little bit to replace that tire, and maybe even the wheel, and may possible bent suspension parts as well????

7. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Boy, oh boy...
    I suppose you are one of those drivers who has NEVER hit a curb, or been in a situation with a truck where you had to? I call BS! There are a lot of drivers in this industry who aren't fit to mop the floor at McDonald's, but when companies start wagging their finger at the competent drivers they do have, they are going to end up with no drivers...
    As for buddyd157, are you even a driver, or do you sit behind a desk as a safety rep. for some driver facing camera firm, making rules about driving CMV's that will never apply to the real world? Companies tell drivers that they can't eat, drink, smoke, reach into a lunchbox, briefly unfasten their safety belt, laugh at something funny, or sing along while listening to the radio, or even have a conversation with the Lord, which I know many a praying driver who does...
    These companies are getting downright ridiculous with their hypocrisy, and it already is coming back to bite them...
    That's why I say, beggars can't be choosers, to an extent. If a company is going to be so anal about riding their drivers for ridiculous bull crap that has no practical application in the real world, then let their truck sit, and go work elsewhere!

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Leaving receiver went about a tire width too far before turning.

This is why I'll gladly put someone in a truck they are responsible for.

When you are accountable for what you do, for some reason your attention span, focus, and skill level simply seem to skyrocket.

alds, Mototom, okiedokie and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    am i ever a driver, or was i ever a driver..??

have YOU ever actually read my signature line...??

go ahead, and read it at the bottom of this very posting...

all i said was that driver, as in the o/p, GOT CAUGHT AND AS SUCH, VIOLATED COMPANY RULES/POLICY.

i guess since you did not read my signature line, you also did not read where i have been saying...

HE GOT CAUGHT, AND VIOLATED COMPANY POLICY

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The cameras and speed limiters will be mandated for all of us soon. We better gets used to backseat quarterbacks back at the office micromanaging us because it is coming for sure.

buddyd157 and snowlauncher Thank this.
  11. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    This a place I used to deliver to once a week in Toledo, Ohio. I left the customer name so you can search them yourself.

First of all, cars always park all the way to the end over the yellow line and that's where the curb runs until.
    Second, you always have to put it in the dock that is closest to the building because the other trailer in the dock is used for storage.
    Thirdly, you can see the dirt patch from all the trucks that have gone up the curb to deliver there.

I have delivered here atleast 10 times and tried different angles to prevent the curbing of the steer and drives tires. I only slightly curbed the steer tire while blind siding into that dock was the best I could do.

There are many places you have to curb, especially on the east coast. Whoever said professionals don't curb tires doesn't know what they are talking about.

#### happens, your company are full of idiots. I would recommend finding another.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.