My Lease Purchase is only a Lease with no purchase.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Canwil3565, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Canwil3565

Canwil3565 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Hi everyone! I am in good spirits despite my situation. 14 months ago, I joined a mega carrier because I was only 1 yr into the industry and needed to make more that the meager 400/wk I was making with the original company I started driving for. I signed up for what I was told was lease/purchase and got the wheels turning. I averaged about 3200 miles/week, made between 1500-2500 per week and a 1000/ week payment. About 4 months into my lease, I had to change the oil in my truck and was commenting to another driver how the 625.00 oil change was outrageous! She then stated to me "well don't u have an emergency fund set up?" Which led to a discussion where she informed me that "I couldn't possibly be in lease purchase b/c the company I am with makes u set up an emergency fund". I called the company and found out I am indeed leasing...not purchasing. Even though I was specifically told "u will get the title at the end of ur contract". I was pissed but I will carry on.....nevermind my contract reads like a deposition from an attorney and at the very top it says LEASE/PURCHASE.fast forward to 12 months into my fake lease purchase that's really just lease; I start having problems with the truck. Major problems. The wiring harness catches fire and puts itself out before I get to it but now all the cables coming from my ignition are burnt about 5 inches in length. It also burnt up other wires, the ones to my lights, battery terminal, etc. Company says " we will have to get it towed from Michigan to Missouri" peterbuilt between here and there had 15 day waiting list to even LOOK at it. I find a backyard mechanic to rewire it and I go to Missouri. I let them know when I am on my way that none of my lights r working and I need a loner truck soon as I get there cause this is gonna be a serious fix. No loner truck available. Dispatcher didn't even put me on the list for one. Ok....i take 2 classes while I am at the terminal to get truck payment deferred and 100 dollars. Spent 1 1/2 week getting repairs done. Come out back on the road in the hole. 1800 in the hole. Drive 1 week, exhaust leak- gotta go back to peterbuilt. 4 days on breakdown. Took crap load going west to get out of the terminal. Bad idea! Stuck in the snow in NM for 12 hrs, 595 dollar tow fee and broken windshield from driver next to me spinning to get himself out snow. Borrowed 750 dollar to pay my mortgage. (I had no money to even eat, let alone pay my bills.) 535.00 for windshield. Back on road.
    Ok, here we go, let's get out the hole! Get 2 crap loads paying about 1.20/ mile. Start paying down my debt. Still no paycheck, borrowing to eat. Last week settlement read 1020 in hole. This week read; 500 in hole with repairs still coming out at 400/wk until paid. Dispatcher wants me to deadheadout of atl to Arkansas not disclosing for how much. We r moving trucks outta that area. Too many trucks, not enough freight. I follow orders cause I am a debt puppet for the moment. I drive out all the fuel from the atl load and get 200 miles away. Stop and message dm cause I dwant anymore fuel to come out nxt weeks check. What ya got? Am I close enough to be dispatched? He sends me a load paying 1.00/ mile going to salt lake city during the storm. I say I don't want it, I can't risk getting stuck in the snow. We have nothing else going out of there today or tomorrow. Ok, I'm in west Memphis, I will sit until MY regular dm gets in. Regular dm gets in, he raises he'll at me " why didn't u do like I told u?" I said I needed to be dispatched so that the fuel I needed to continue doesn't come out of this weeks check and nothing was going out! If u had gone to no-wheresville, ak u would only be 200 miles away from this load I'm sending u that p/u in joplin, mo. What?! What happened to the ak load?! All I have is this joplin load going out to Naperville il. At .97/ mile.
    As if freight has slowed to a halt! 700 deadmiles. For this load. Wtf?! I take it cause I am in debt puppet. I pickup- drop off and p/ u another that goes to west side of Nebraska. Truck breaks down again. At peterbuilt and they can't look at it until this afternoon. Def system now. Tell....im broke....just what do I do?!
    Asked if I could switch and go company. They say....u have idelled ur truck too much, u would have to go back to training for 20000 miles with a trainer than we will re-evaluate and make a decision. What about a different truck? One with not so many problems? We have a waiting list of about 40+ people they say.
    I don't understand what is happening. There r successful people at this company. What am I missing here? This is making me crazy.....
    I have been driving 2 yrs 3 months total. 1 accident not at fault. Someone ran into the back of me. No tickets at all in cmv or personal vehicle. I have not had a service failure in 6 months, only been home 3 times in past yr. I'm not stupid but I don't understand. Thanks for ur help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Wow.

If your record is as good as you say - what are you doing this for?

And please - what company are we talking here?

Lepton1, Opus, sawmill and 4 others Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I wouldn't even know where to start with this one. Maybe somebody else will chime in with some advice. I'm just shaking my head.

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    All you need to understand is the folks in your company office yell "Fish On!!" and laugh every time they hang up the phone with you.

Do what you can to get as far away from them as possible. That's what I would have done already.

Lepton1, adayrider, Eldiablo and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Canwil3565

Jul 30, 2017
    I know I should not have gone lease. I know. I really needed to make more than 400/wk. Its been ok between all of this. It's the one that starts with P.

jamespmack, Oxbow and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  7. Canwil3565

Jul 30, 2017
    They have people who check these threads.. I don't wanna get put on side of the road for asking for advice.

Lepton1 and jamespmack Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    It’s ok - you can say it out loud - Prime.

PRIME

PRIME.

Now - calling all Prime lease operators - help this guy out.

9. Canwil3565

Jul 30, 2017
    I know, I know they do. Everybody has to start somewhere. But I should be at that place now...right?! Where I can get on with a company thats worth a ####? But who? Everybody talks so much stuff about all companies. Hard to know what is truth. When I ask a trucker at a truck Stop, which I stopped long ago, I just get the ; a good company's located in my sleeper berth, pretty girl!" Lmao

jamespmack and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    You are still a company driver. You're just paying their operating costs for them.

11. Canwil3565

Jul 30, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.