I Don't Know If I'm Disgusted or Confused

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Grumppy, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I went to the new... Pilot?... at Vann, TX, I-20 exit 540 across from the two loves, today.

The big sign sticking 60 ft in the air out by the interstate says its a Pilot & a Wendy's.
    When you drive in, the fuel Island for the cars in the front & the truck fuel island in the back says Exxon.
    When you go inside, everything is Gateway. Nothing... absolutely nothing except the big sign 60 ft in the air has Pilot on it. Not even Pilot coffee. Its Gateway coffee.
    So, I don't get it.

But what really gets my goat, is the way these architects are designing these new truck stops, while management is bragging about how they are making them more convenient & adaptable for their customers.
    This place, along with the newest Loves across the interstate.... when you pull in to the fuel isand, you have to pass the entrance to the fuel desk to get to the pumps, then pull up another 85 feet when your done fueling, then walk that 150 feet back to the entrance....??? What???
    Its hard enough to get people to pull out of the fuel island as it is. Now they are putting the fuel desk entrance so as you have to backtrack to go in.
    My point is.... convenient??? Gonna be harder to get some of these drivers to pull forward then walk 150 ft back through the fuel island to go inside.

Again, people (architechs) trying to design something they know nothing about.

New & improved.... convenient... better design.... :biggrin_2552: Yeah, right... thanks for nothing Pilot... or Exxon... or Gateway.... whoever this thing belongs to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Mathews, MO is the same way - brand new building with a layout that makes it challenging to get in, do your thing and get out in a timely manner.

Petro just south of Elwood, same story.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  4. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Which one in Matthews -- Love's, Flyin J or Tits 'n A((?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  5. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Whenever I fuel there I always go out to the far west end. With the angle of the pumps there isn’t room to pull up once you’re done. If I’m not parking to shower or anything I’ll just run in to get my receipt and leave. Keeps me out of the mess up toward the building.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    The loves in dyersburg tn is like that.
    drive passed building. fuel, pull by shop, walk back, one way in, one way out.

IMG_5116.png

Pull in top left corner. can even see fuel line backing up blocking driveway.
    Then up to about a 1 mile walk from back parking lot to building.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Gateway has a number of travel stops. Some have One9 fuel, some have TA fuel, and some are Pilot fuel. But the stop itself is Gateway.

Grumppy and gentleroger Thank this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Thank you for the insight. But why is the Gateway name/brand nowhere to be seen until you enter the store? Nothing indicates its a Gateway. No sign etc.
    I can understand contracting with Exxon for fuel, but from the road, it indicates with a huge sign that its a Pilot with a Wendy's... LOL. Its crazy.

There used to be a Gateway at Kilgore, but its now sold out I think... at least it doesn't indicate its a Gateway from the interstate or Hwy 31(?).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  10. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    Gateway doesn't have a "brand" or a following. Pilot does. They will use Pilot as a crutch so they can expand faster, then will start having actual "Gateway" truck stops, before slowly phasing out the contracts with Pilot.

Road Ranger did it.

Thorntons is doing it.

Gateway hopes to do it.

bzinger and Grumppy Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Gateways in Nagogdoches and Carthage Texas are both TA Express so not just Pilots.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.