I guess it's just not meant to be.....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by trips74, May 25, 2023.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    At the very least, thanks for the honesty.

We need more of it in the industry vs. blowing smoke up everybody's rear ends about how easy it is and successful you can be.

Good luck with whatever you do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yes and No.

You can't fault a guy that's been in the industry 25 years with a passion for ownership -

But I agree that if - "You fail to plan, you're planning to fail".

Vampire, TheLoadOut, The_vett and 5 others Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The new trucks are rough man. Just blew mine up and cut my losses with it sent it to auction.. Let someone else f with it .. Can't get attached to the emissions trucks.. They are all piles of ####.. Hopefully the next trucks that are built with electric or hydrogen fuel cells are easier to maintain for the small guy.

5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Never take a truck to a dealership and tell them to “fix it”. That has been the death of many.

mitmaks, Rickp, Vampire and 11 others Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree

i highly doubt that.

this...........

How much does an electric car battery cost? | Digital Trends

if the cost for an electric car battery will be that much in dollars, what's to say an electric truck will be cheaper, given the owner may also get hit with Federal excise taxes as well..????

hydrogen, is still being worked on, i cannot "see" that being cheaper either....

then all the usual costs, like tires, brakes, charging station times, and if waiting in long fuel lines now with jerks just parking there??

how will the recharging stations be set up to assist in quick in/out times?

given that it takes a LONG time to recharge a battery..???

i just do not see the smaller owner even considering getting into the industry without at least a million dollars in a savings account.[/quote][/quote]

Nostalgic and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    [/quote][/QUOTE]

Im not talking about right now.. I'm talking about when the industry has fully shifted to that point... obviously it's all more expensive right now because it is not readily available.

Rideandrepair and cke Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i think by the time you feel it'll happen..??

many will be weeded out, and the decline of the o/o and smaller outfits will disappear.

it's going to be the rich(er) survive.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Vampire and austinmike Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    You can say what you believe.. There is already legislation in place to make diesel extinct in certain areas less than 10 years from now.. Its not a ridiculous assumption to say that in 20-30. Years from now the alternative fuels and autonomous technology will be readily available.. It is going to change everything we know about the freight industry...and will most likely change how companies are actually doing business. you can say the mega companies will destroy the small guy but I don't believe that...

blockbuster laughed at the concept of movie streaming service, until Netflix gave them the middle finger and put them out of business...the same could be said with newer a.I technology. The small guys are kicking ### with this stuff. when it comes to new technology corporations are so slow to move into anything new.. That is always where the opportunities exist for the small guys..trucking is no different.. And is most likely what we are going to see going forward with the new fuel systems and autonomous technology

loudtom Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the smaller guys, will not have the financial backing as the big guys or stock holders.

sure things will change, like the extinction of the smaller companies and the o/o.

we see it now, with one mega company buying another, don't we..??

we had seen it with Walmart going to every small burgh in the country, and putting mom/pop stores out of business.

we had seen it happen with Home Depot and Lowes ridding the cities of the smaller hardware stores.

it's inevitable, the small trucking companies of say less than 2,000 trucks, and the o/o's, with maybe less than 10 trucks, are going to fade away..

even LTL companies will die off, to the larger ones, and THAT has been going on for quite sometime now too...hasn't it..???

stock shareholders, investors, and the ultra rich, not he poor will survive.

cke Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can have $20,000 in the bank. Leave out from home. Within a week, be $10,000 short of getting the Truck repaired. It’s crazy. Some things are just out of your control. I’ve been up and down so many times, I don’t even realize it anymore. That is when I’m up, I know it’s only temporary. When I’m down, I’m ready to quit if needed. Somehow, I always make it. No longer sweat any of it. Whatever happens, happens. I’m confident I’ve done my best. That’s all anyone can do. Home now on a holiday. Doing neglected chores and repairs. Always a list that’s never done. Only prioritized. Guess what’s at the top of the list? Always the Truck. Lol. It’s a lot. Most people wouldn’t do it. I can’t say I blame them either. It’s a constant roller coaster ride. Hardly worth the effort involved.

gokiddogo, Vampire, cccoltco and 10 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.