I hate to bug you guys...

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mattflat362, Dec 21, 2020.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    One of my granny’s favorite sayings was “A lesson bought is better learned than a lesson taught”
    You feel like you were being screwed and I don’t disagree.
    If you run the spot market do you consider how much it costs the shipper and charge a fair price or get as much as the market will allow?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    Do ya'll remember a thread about a list of Good Repair Shops ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    My rates are 2 per hub mile and never change (if anything I go down for light stuff). That includes tarping and any day that ends in Y and any hour with numbers in it! LOL. I don't think that is unfair being a expedited round trip no sleeper truck......which they are aware from my description before they ever even call me.

I know what you are saying though....some people play the game.....I don't and I consider myself EXTREMELY honest and upfront. I think the only time I "make out" is on my minimum day rates. I have found that you HAVE to have one or you get pounded with $600.00 load offers....which make zero sense when you own one of these fire breathing money munching animals. I genuinely try to be a disciple of the big man. This is probably the reason I started this thread! LOL. I feel bad for getting screwed (I am now thinking that is a justifiable statement based on reading all of this and the original $2444.00 bill) and losing my temper (heavily!) and flipping out on them! What is that crap called when the victim feels for the bad guy!?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    And while I have ya'll's attention....Merry CHRISTmas!

7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I know its a pain and can be extremely frustrating

bigguns, Rideandrepair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    My shop bills out at the book rate. He got rid of 2 guys that were taking double the time to complete jobs, because he had to pay them hourly but couldn’t charge in good faith - the time they actually took.

I agree the 5 hour tail light charge should have been 1 - running a new wire would have been easier.

I probably wouldn’t go back. My guess is they’ll try to recoup what they dropped on the bill on another repair.

I’ve only ever used one shop. 6 years. I can call the guy 24/7 if I’m in need, he’s helped my friends diagnose stuff on the back of my relationship with them - can’t stress enough the importance of honest relationship building with mechanic - tire - inspection - bank - CPA etc.

I buy them Christmas presents, cook barbecue lunch - deliver pizzas to the inspection place - you know, grease the wheels of industry :)

9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Agree.
    Coffee and donuts, a pizza etc is a CHEAP investment with a big return.:occasion5:

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I give the mechanic a tip, when they’re good, next time they remember. By comparison if they’ve got a bad attitude, and give me a dirty look, like I’m bothering them, or have a know it all attitude and talk down to me. Red flag! I’m out of there.

Bean Jr., bigguns and black_dog106 Thank this.
  11. WrenchWrenchWrench

WrenchWrenchWrench Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I'm an independent mobile mechanic, so I have waaaay less overhead than this shop does. That being said if you called me and asked for a quote I would ball park it at $1,650 plus tax (not including the steer tire balance as I can't do that on the road) and tell you it could differ depending on parts pricing and what I find out on the electrical problem. I would take care of all the work other than the lights, spend an hour on that and call you with an update and ask if you want me to proceed. I would also be extremely embarrassed to admit that it took over an hour to find a broken wire on your exact truck. I would probably just eat any time over that hour out of principle. At that price I bill $105 an hour in labor and would make what I deem a fair profit on the parts.

spsauerland, Bean Jr., bigguns and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.