I HATE Training. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DizzleDriver, Aug 23, 2019.

1. DizzleDriver

DizzleDriver Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I just want to thank everyone for the encouragement. I am not going to give up! I would love a mentor and I’m already reading through posts to help me. I am very grateful for all of your advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    With just two weeks left, you have it whipped, just ride and guide and smile at him.
    Hell you can stand on your head for two weeks. lol

4. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I suspect this would extend your training/wait time. What if you get yet another dud? I agree with @otterinthewater hang in and get it over with.

My training was only 10 days with trainer cuz she was getting married when she got home and she was in a hurry. Also when I ground a gear she physically slapped my hand! I went along with her to get it done. When I got my own truck solo assigned I struggled for a year but I survived.

5. GhentSaintPeters

GhentSaintPeters Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2019
    OP, do what you think is right for you. The people telling you to get through it with this trainer, they don't have to be in the actual truck with him. You do.

On one hand, you only have 2 weeks left. So close.

On the other hand, your training is important and I think it's important to have a good trainer IN PERSON (not just on a forum) to get off to a good start. This forum can not tell you how you should approach that weird backing angle at that one shippers office, like an in person trainer should do.

this "trainer" is only using you a money bag. Trainers get compensated for what they do. They do not have to train. If they don't want to teach, then don't train. Period.

Many people do ask for new trainers and you shouldn't feel afraid to either, if you can afford it.

On a side note, this "suck it up" mentality is a huge part why this industry has a near 100% turnover rate. Most people aren't going to "suck it up" and say screw it.

OP, do what's best for you and you only. Again, I think at least a decent trainer is vital but then again, if you're more than halfway through with so few weeks left.......Tough call.

Do be prepared to stay on the road an extra week or so with him though, even if you've completed your end of the training. Since you guys are running super solo or as a team, then the company might not be able to route you back right away or even a few days after your training is done.

Good luck and keep us updated. I'm rooting for you.

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If there is a brake check area at the top -YOU MUST STOP. You do not necessarily need to to get out and inspect the brakes, but you do need to come to a complete stop. If you did your pump down/lab test that morning your brakes should be close to perfectly adjusted, on good pump all the way to the floor and you are good to go (provided you don't hear any clunks, if so pump again).

For serious grades they generally have suggested speed limits based on weight. If not I generally drop 5 mph below the speed limit for 30k and under (cargo weight), 10 mph for 30-40k and up to 15 mph for very heavy or unbalanced loads or weather.

Today I had 42k in the box going thru I64 in WV, 5% grades 55 mph limit. I did about 45ish as it was raining and thats what I was comfy with. I have gone thru the same area in the same weather doing 60 mph, but with a lighter and better loaded load. So basically drive your truck.

I would hope that KLLM gave you a training manual. Break it out, answers are in there.

When you have a question, think about how you phrase it. Instead of "how do I do x?" say "the book says i do x in manner y, but I see you do it different. What advantage is there in your way verses manner y". Basically make it sound like you are asking higher level questions instead of wanting to be spoon fed and baby sat.

Be attentive and dilligent, learn what you can. If he is backing GET OUT OF THE TRUCK AND WATCH FROM THE OUTSIDE. Watch his steer tires, watch the angle between truck and trailer, watch where he is looking. It does help.

If you are backing, just do your thing. Don't wait to be told. Set up, goal, get back in and go. Goal again, get back in. Goal, get back in. Goal, get back in. Don't stand around gawking or over thinking. Make a decision and go. Most trainees don't notice that they have been standing with there thumb up their nose for 3 minutes while every one else is getting cranky. It takes the time it takes. If you are working I will give you all the time I can. I have been yelled at or kicked off of most our customers lots because I give y'all too much time. If you are standing there composing Iambic Pentameter then I will get involved.

You should already have your cdl, so you should have the basics down. If he doesn't want to trip plan, so be it. Doesn't mean you can't trip plan yourself. You are running dedicated, and you said you'rr getting loads assigned ahead of time. Do your trip plan and ask youe trainer to review it ONCE YOU ARE DONE. Don't ask to get walked thru it step be step, have a go and say "is this right?". You will get better results. If he won't review, pm otter or me and we will help.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    AS soon as its your driving shift meaning your on duty, You should get out and do a pretrip if he does not like it to bad for him. Personally I think the quickest way for me to check brakes and brake adjustment is to after I visually look at them is to adjust them, now this is not necessary everytime you change drivers, but a pretrip inspection should be conducted during your driving shift.
    As far as brake checks, alway wise to stop and check to make sure there adjusted if in doubt, Do I stop at every brake check, No. But I do a through inspection of the tractor and trailers before I move them, And when running OTR, I start my day with a complete inspection from Front bumper to DOT bar. I really dont care who does not like it. In 30 years of driving and doing this I have not been meet by anything but a few blowouts that I was not expecting, With one exception, and that truck was literally in the shop 60 miles before failure and had received a clean bill of health from the lead mechanic, then had a catastrophic steering failure. But thats another story for another day.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well there's lots of them good and bad ,
    Backing is an aquired skill, will take time and practice, kind of like landing an airplane in the fact that does not matter how long it takes as long as you dont hit anything.
    Basic's are to move the trailer to the left steer the tract to the right, start by steering from the bottom of the steering wheel when backing, move the wheel left to go left and right to go right, by moving from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel you automatically flip the steering.
    Once you get the trailer turning follow it. Easier to teach from inside the cab. Watch a few videos it should help, cr england and swift actually have some back videos on you tube that will probably help.

9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Please by all means give us the vehicle code that says you must stop at all Brake Checks. I know alot of companies require it, but those are policies not the law, So please show us the law.

I do know of a couple that are posted mandatory brake check like on Donner Pass, but I do not believe that all brake check areas are mandatory. I believe that the mandatory bake checks are marked as such. I maybe wrong if so I apologize, This being a teaching thread want to keep it correct.

10. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Geeze, he sounds like a real moron that trainer. Each to their own, but he would be gone off of training and back on his own if he drove where I'm at for many years now. No perfect company, but hey if your sick of him come over where I am, least you won't be treated like that, and you'll get trained under better conditions. If you've done a honest self analysis of yourself and most of it is him, say good bye and start with a much better trainer and company.

11. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    If it's any consolation, I learned way more on my own then I ever did with any trainer and it took me over a year to even start getting comfortable behind the wheel. I'm almost 8 years in and still rolling and I still don't pretend to be even close to knowing everything about driving. I manage.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.