I have a pit bull, part 2.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by dakota1994, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    The breed we call the Pit Bull no longer exists as it was created. The breed was created by crossing bulldogs with terriers (ironically, the hysterical screamers never single out the English Bulldog as a dangerous breed, although it is one of the few that was actually created specifically for bloodsport fighting). They were indeed originally used for bull baiting and dog fighting, then as catch dogs in the American West (ask a cowboy) as fighting became illegal. They were never bred/intended as attack dogs, although their intelligence and gameness made them adaptable to that purpose. The aggression has been largely bred out of the dog; indeed, the original Pit Bull no longer exists. There are several breeds that fall under the physiological umbra, all closely related to the protobreed created so long ago. These include the modern Pit Bull, the American Bulldog, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Also sometimes (erroneously) lumped into the archetype is the Cane Corso and the lesser known Dogo Argentino.

As highly intelligent animals they can possess sharp temperaments (cuddle monster to attack mode in .015 seconds, and they are so freakishly strong that when they do attack it can be spectacularly tragic. They are no more a dog for the inexperienced than are Great Danes (another breed created for aggression out of two established breeds--Danes were originally bred to hunt wolves and wild boar then used as guard/attack dogs and war dogs) but are no more inherently dangerous than any other dog. The CDC has done studies in the face of the irrational hysteria surrounding the animals and the truth is they are no more likely to be involved in a violent interaction with a human than any other breed. The visibility is due to disproportionate and one sided media coverage of Pit Bull attacks because, sadly, this type of irresponsible yellow journalism sells papers and ad space. And even more sadly, many people abdicate their position as rational independent thinkers and simply slurp up the pap that the media spoon feed them. A good example of this is the widely held belief that Pit Bulls have locking/ratcheting jaws--a notion that ANY veterinarian will CHEERFULLY debunk if one only has the gumption to ask the question for themselves. (The most commonly accepted explanation for this bit of persistent nonsense is the terrier side of the animal--they simply refuse to let go and are strong enough to make someone believe there must be some kind of mechanism involved. There isn't.)

If somebody is nervous around any breed of dog, it is common sense that they do not have one. If someone is irresponsible or wants one or several as a status symbol or a symbol of their irrepressible machismo, they should not be allowed near them. These things result in most of the tragedies surrounding the breed. They do not mean the breed should be exterminated. They are among the best police dogs, military dogs, rescue dogs, and therapy dogs (yes, THERAPY DOGS! FOR CHILDREN, THE ELDERLY, AND THE INFIRM!) in the world. In fact, the general breed does more to contribute to human society in a positive way than nearly any other breed out there. The Labrador family of dogs is the only one that springs to mind that does as much to benefit man. And the Labrador has a much higher incidence of violent human interaction than the Pit Bull.

This breed should not be banned. Certain humans should.

Daynnight101 and Lawdog71 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I see one major problem of having a pit bull in most of those trucking companies, and that is they are not small dogs. Very muscular, I doubt any are in the weight category that most of those companies allow.

If one of those companies that allow a dog over 35 lbs is a fit for you, go for it!

4. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is true; in fact, most companies that set a 35 or 40 pound limit do not do it arbitrarily. It is a way around any backlash about not wanting Pits that can easily surpass 80lbs on their trucks. They aren't necessarily wrong to do so, either. Irresponsible owners allow their dogs to do enormous damage to the trucks and although I don't think the breed should be banned I do believe truck owners should be able to protect themselves from damage losses. Not to mention local and corporate restrictions that are routinely ignored by jerk dog owners. A lot of times we dog owners, as well as truckers, can be our own worst enemy. (Or, a few jerks can really screw things up for the rest of us)

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I saw your first thread, and didn't feel like commenting since I actually don't really care. But now u have a 2nd one.

Maybe somebody already mention it but isn't it illegal to own a pit bull in cities or county? I know people have to register a pit bull if they live in a certain city.

Saying that, I don't hate pit bull, my ex's sister bf has a awesome pit bull which I would love to steal. Friendliest dog I ever met

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  6. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    You are correct, and those statutes/restrictions are another reason many companies (especially large ones) don't allow them on their trucks.

You are also correct in insinuating that I should not have mounted my soap box on another person's thread. Mea culpa, and apologies.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Lawdog71

Lawdog71 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Thatcher/Tremonton UT
    Absolutely well said! I have a American Staffie Mix and he is the best. He was attacked by a boxer a few years ago, so is not as friendly to other dogs as he once was....but he loves people!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are no irresponsible dogs, only irresponsible pet owners!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Kala92

Kala92 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2020

Seeing as this thread is a few years old now, I'm curious as to what's happened with you and your pitty? I am looking into trucking as a career change and have a 9 year old pit mix I'd like to bring along. Any advice or knowledge on actually travelling across country/borders with your pit? How does breed legislation apply if your passing through banned areas.. do you just try to avoid working in those areas?

G13Tomcat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.