I have decided to explore o/o through Crete / Shaffer.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Firstly, I am a 47 year old driver with 2.75 total years of driving experience. 1.25 years with Stevens Transport and 1.5 years with Shaffer (Crete.)

The first thing I did after deciding to look closely at the idea was verify that I can stay on my current account, which is getting me 3000-3500 miles per week. The pay for an o/o on the account is between 1.04 and 1.09 per practical mile. Current fuel surcharge of .31 per loaded mile.

For a long time I was thinking about trying to get a 'better' truck than the one I am driving now, but, honestly, the 2016 Freightliner I am in has 405k miles, and still gets the same fuel economy as it did 220k miles ago when I got into it. So I have asked for Crete to price the truck for me to buy it. We shall see what number they come up with, then I will check the number against similar vehicles in a couple used truck magazines.

If the price is decent, I will take the truck to a Freightliner dealer and ask them to verify that all recall service, if any, has been performed on it. I will also have an oil analysis done, and spend a few hundred bucks on a diagnosis and inspection.

While this is happening, Crete will be enrolling me in an o/o class to explain their program. I can take the class without a commitment to becoming an o/o with Crete.

I have verified that Crete has no issues with me modifying the truck to have an APU. I keep my chains in front of my passenger seat anyway. That's for the future though, after the truck is paid off.

If I buy it, the truck will retain roughly 100k miles of factory warrantee, and there will also be a 250k mile power train warrantee added to the truck.

I have been planning to save up and pay cash for a truck, but have decided to explore financing part of it. I have no debt, over 20k in the bank, and 10k in available credit on zero-balance cards.

I will likely put 10k down in order to secure better financing, which will leave me 10k cash and 10k credit to work with while the truck is under factory warantee.

I have verified that the basic Crete o/o program requires that drivers only take company loads. This is a little worrisome, but at the same time, I won't have to deal with brokers and public load boards. Perhaps after the truck is paid off, I might consider taking more responsibility on myself.

I will post more as I learn more, and as I make discoveries or decisions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jerry Rigs

Jerry Rigs Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Don't do it! Never buy a truck and get your loads at the same place. That is not nearly enough per mile to operate a truck, you will struggle to make as much as you do now.

I am just a company driver, but have researched this pretty heavily. I would save some more cash, then find a company to lease on to. Read the contracts carefully. Start with Landstar and Mercer.

I would figure on 1.50 per mile for truck and fuel. This includes payments, insurance, and all maintenance. It may come out a bit lower, but that is where I would set the bar.

TripleSix, Smut, CorsairFanboy and 3 others Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    1.63cpm to cover all, including drivers wages. You do plan on paying for self right? 1.04cpm I wouldn't haul it in my 1/2 pickup for that.

PoleCrusher and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    What exactly are they covering in exchange for paying you 1.37 per mile?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I can gurantee. You will make more money as a company driver.. With 2.5 year sof experience.. Just about any good paying company will hire you ... Why go thru the headache of bein a owner op with a mega and get paid #### on top of all that and net less than a company driver........but if u really wanna do it.. Good luck to u

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not have all the details yet. Several things might influence my decision. For example:

Do I get fuel cheaper through Crete?

What about tires and A/B service maintenance?

What will my insurance costs be?

Who insures the loads? I am hauling them, but they are in Crete/Shaffer trailers.

That's a sample of the questions I currently know to ask.

It is entirely possible that I will go to the Crete o/o class and walk away deciding to stay a company driver.

This thread is going to start as a rough description of my decision-making process leading to a decision about becoming an o/o. If I DO choose to become an o/o then I will create a new thread.

8. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    What area of the country are you in?

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    How much the insurance will cost is a must know.

What are the deductibles?

Who covers the plates, IFTA, etc?

Is there a mandatory maintenance (mileage) withholding? If so, how much?

What are the intervals for A&B service if they control your maintenance escrow?

Is there a trailer pool charge?

Who pays for tolls?

Is there an E-Z Pass (greenlight) subscription charge?

How about Elog device, is there a monthly fee for usage?

Those are just a few questions you might consider adding to your list ;-)

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I no longer own a home, but I am based out of the Atlantahell area.

I currently am on an account that runs 99% drop and hook loads between GA, IL, and PA.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks! I had not considered the possibility of trailer pool costs, and insurance deductibles are definitely worth keeping as a separate item for consideration.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.