I jumped off a tall building, the breeze is nice. Will it hurt when I land?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by tscottme, May 24, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I do not understand why so many students and brand new CDL holders sign up a company sponsored, or "free" CDL training from a trucking company immediately, or very soon, start making plans to break the legal contract with the trucking company and move on to another industry or another trucking company.

The time to "change your mind" is before you sign your name on the legal contract. How would you respond if the trucking company "changed their mind" about paying you for driving their truck? The trucking companies that pay for your CDL school have more experience in winning the legal battles with people who break their contract than the person breaking the contract.

Please think carefully before signing legal contracts.
    I would recommend you first do enough research that you find the trucking company you want to work for, determine they are the best possible match for you and your situation, AND THEN decide which method or school is best for getting your CDL.

About half of trucking companies that hire newbies have some form of Tuition Reimbursement to help repay any CDL school loan. Your state unemployment office may have WOIA grants (money you don't repay) for unemployed/undemployed applicants wishing to attend trade schools. Some trucking companies only hire newbies from certain CDL schools or CDL schools meeting certain requirements. And obviously some trucking companies have their own CDL school for future employees.

Hammer166, merv85, Boondock and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    People do it because companies that advertise "free CDL training" only advertise free CDL training. They don't necessarily come out and tell you "if you quit before a year, you have to pay us back". They don't come out and say "if you refuse a dispatch you'll be pentalized". While it may very well be in the 35 page contract the individual signs, the person signing it fails to notice it, or notices it and believes they may be happy with the company.

Later on, whether it be in orientation or after they started driving, they find out they're actually not happy there. Companies are known to give new drivers the loads that nobody else wants to do, such as New England deliveries. Companies are also known to tell drivers to operate equipment that they feel isn't safe to operate. Or the company just puts on a very good front and all kinds of small details get discovered later on. Drivers get burned out and get tired of not being treated fairly and look for an out. There's a million different reasons, it's not as cut and dry as you think.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The trucking companies play games. I was told back when we had paper log books. The loads can't be late. They always talk safety don't drive tired. If you had 3 late loads you just were not cut out to be a driver and you got fired.

They also said log 5 MPH below the speed limit, what does that mean ? How about our average driver makes $60,000+ a year but they have 110% turn over.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia

To all beginning/aspiring/would be drivers:

"Before you invest--investigate."

"People respect what you inspect--NOT what you expect."

--Lual

6. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I went through CRST training and orientation, met my fm and a trainer. Than got fired 1 hour prior to go out with a trainer. My dream was literally crushed that day, becouse of a speeding ticket I told them about. To this day I still hold a grudge against them. Luckily everything work out, and I didn't have to drive for that brown ####stain. So, in my experience, it's much easier to go through sponsored school and just pay it off. Companies pay pretty good these days, shouldn't be a problem jumping ship

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    My late mom always said, "It's not the fall, but the sudden stop at the bottom". And come on, you weren't born yesterday, recruiters have always baffled new recruits with BS. I think it's kind of comical, but sad too. I think you are giving new hires too much credit, my friend. These people are no more truck drivers than I'm a brain surgeon, BUT, for many, it's the last game in town, and lofty claims of 6 figures to do the same thing as going to grandmas in the Kia, it's only natural to think truck driving, of course, how hard could it be? And companies have no choice but to try these people, maybe a couple will pan out. It's just the price to pay for substandard help. I have no sympathy for those folks, in this no consequence society today. They'll simply default on the bill, and suckle off societies teat.

8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I'am not defending these companies .. But have you paid close attention to the caliber of candidates applying to theses [ Free Schools ]... Most of them.never leave their Parent's basement ..and they have never been made to stick with anything their entire lives.. their are just cry baby quieters that still suck their thumbs and hide behide mommy's skirt... The only reason they are interested is because they have been playing American Truck Simulator on their PS ~4 .. and they think it looks like fun and it Free.
    @201 ...summed it up well in his post
    These candidates are no more truck driver than I am a rocket scientist

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
    kranky1, 201, AModelCat and 3 others Thank this.
  9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Sooooo much drama...

10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Most people don’t realize what it’s like to be out here alone for a month at a time or more.

They are not ready for the stress, the days of no showers or private restroom. No one told me about the ####ty shippers and receivers that just don’t care about anyone.

I try to turn folks away from becoming a driver, generally

11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    In 2001, Paper Logs, No "nannie" devices apart from Qualcomm.
    BAD DIRECTIONS On Qualcomm Led To a Few LATE LOADS Because INTERSTATE EXIT Directions Were NOT Directional Specific as in: "Take Exit Number ___", Right To "____" Then Left 3 Blocks, Company On Left".
    So When One Was Going The WRONG Direction (S. E. W. N.), Discoveries sometimes perilous.

Some Exit Adventures Went To 70' Combo 2 Lane Road Miseries, Like "How Far To Find A Wide Enough Section To Reverse Direction".
    Discoveries Made To Dispatch For Correcting Faulty Directions Ignored at Most Companies, Reasons never clarified.
    I Generally Logged at 50 m.p.h. For Most Of My Adventures Whether Long or Short Haul.
    - - - - - -

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.