I Made $18k My First Year

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LetUsKing, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    In all fairness.....most of us get paid by the mile....you are the exception to the rule. You have obviously found a trucking job that works for you.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    In 14 years I have had quite a few jobs before buying my own truck and I never worked by the mile, most were hourly, one was percentage/tonnage

NavigatorWife, Coffey and plankton Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The catch on most guaranteed pay plans is you have to accept whatever load they assign you, or you are available each day required by the guarantee, or you do the above and you don't miss any appointment times.

I would absolutely avoid reefer. It has far more hassle than dry van andvcustomers treat you like a stray dog or a rabidvstray dog. I would suggest you look at Oakley, Indian River Transport, or a conveniently located tanker job. Not only do they pay better, but the company treats you with respect and customers treat you like a human being. Almost every tanker driver says if they knew what tanker works was like they would have started pulling them earlier.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Not sure that's necessarily true. Most large carriers pay by the mile and run drivers OTR rather than local, and most new CDL holders start with a medium to large size carrier. I started out with a large carrier and got paid by the mile, and the 2 jobs I had after that and before becoming an O/O paid a flat daily rate. There are a ton of medium to small sized carriers that don't pay by the mile.

NavigatorWife, Coffey and plankton Thank this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I'm thinking the OP didn't run that hard, for every reason you just mentioned. I'm wondering if he took 6 months off or something.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. LetUsKing

LetUsKing Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2021
    Thanks everyone for the information. It's a lot to consider. I'll explain the $18k. First of all you have to pay tuition costs out of your check. But also I believe I started at $0.30 per mile. Another reason is the truck is governed to 63MPH and I spend a lot of time in the mountains hauling heavy trailers through winding rural streets where the speed limit is often 55. In the beginning I had a nice route from Texas to California and back. But this was when I was fresh out of CDL school. And I didn't even have my own GPS yet I was 100% reliant on the QualComm. Long story short the QC sent me around in circles and tried to get me to drive off of the side of hills and straight into rivers. It would say turn right, and I'd look to the right and there would just be a giant body of water instead of a road. So probably the first two or three months I was only running half as many miles as I could have because I kept having problems getting lost.

One example of me getting lost was there was a consignee UNDERNEATH a bridge in California in the middle of a industrial mecca. And so the QC didn't like that! So after wasting like 8 hours driving around the most hectic city traffic (I'm from rural Mississippi) I just parked and started walking around and asking people. But even the locals didn't know where the street was because it was tucked underneathe a bridge.I eventually found it but the real problem that I had was that the consignee had the name of a different company plastered on their fence so I only actually found them because I just started driving into every single lot that had trailers in it. So it took me 3 days to do something that I should have finished in a couple of hours. That happened often when I was using the QC. So yeah I wasn't running at max capacity because I was newb okay. I still am a newb but I plan my trips better than I used to.

Besides maintainence there was also a general fear that I had. I mean I would go to a drop and hook and see guys zoom in and out in about 5 minutes definitely skipping their pretrips. While I would take an hour to get in and out becaues I was doing everything so slowly. So I'm SURE that had soemthing to do with me not getting as many miles as I could have. I'm not that slow anymore. But I used to be.
    \
    But yeah bottom line PAM is a company that can help people who are in desperate situations. So I'm not demonizing them. PAM hired me when nobody else would and gave me a chance. So I knew I wouldn't get paid that much going in to it. Thanks to PAM I currently have recruiters blowing up my cell phone and my email and I've never felt so wanted in my whole life. So that's partially thanks to PAM I'm not hating on them.

And again thanks for all the advice.

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    $18K, eh? Righteous bucks! I made around that last quarter. And, just between us girls, I used part of the proceeds to run ads in Kentucky announcing my new company:

Frank's FREE Truck Driving School

It's free to all qualified Kentuckians.

9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I thought about that too. And free carrier training. Really show someone how to do it all alone.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    IT'S A TRAP

AModelCat, Frank Speak and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.