I need advice to go local or over the road??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Showme87, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I work the schedule I like in the areas I like and make the money I want.

You can diss how I do things all you want, but it has worked for me (and my company) for over 9 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Although I would recommend OTR for a newer inexperienced driver, I don't think I agree with that statement when referring to driving for most OTR companies.
    With some seniority in an LTL job, you will find that you will be able to bid on a specific shift schedule, or run, thus you will mostly know the time frame which you will be expected to work. This makes it easier to plan your personal time around your job. Many LTL companies pay quite well just to start, and will raise your pay in a fairly short time frame.

4. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Strange. I have always been under the impression that reefers run a different kind of schedule than your typical dry van. Have I been under a misperception this whole time?

5. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Reefers typically do their deliveries in the wee hours of the A.M., but the large percentage of OTR runs during the daylight hours due to load schedules and the good ol' HOS 14 hour clock...
    This is the reason the truck parking space becomes an issue in the evening hours.

6. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    18 dls for local driving is very low, even the most raggedy ltl company dont pay that low. Take the otr gig and gain experience and move into the ltl companies.

Good luck.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I am only speaking from my own experience. I have heard many stories from other Swift drivers and drivers of other carriers that run counter to my experience with this company.

Then again, I have always been able to work a system to my own best advantage.
    It helps to get along with everyone, but it helps more to know and understand the system you are working under.

And sometimes you just have to stand firm and refuse certain things from the beginning.
    Too many drivers will run unsafe schedules because it is expected of them, or because they want to prove something to someone.
    I have placed myself outside that box, so I have the control.

Last Time Around Thanks this.
  8. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    If you are happy and satisfied then that is all that matters. God luck to you sir.

9. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I do both for the company I work for, but I do more road than local loads. I can't stand local loads, other than the fact that I get to go home when I'm done. I'd much rather spend my whole week running 2 or 3 loads as opposed to running 7 or 8 and dealing with city traffic. On road loads, I'm more relaxed. I can manage my day and end it with enough time left on my clock to get a jump start in the morning. Locally, I usually work my full 14 and I'm rushing around.

10. Roguefox

Roguefox Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    $18 an hour? Why not just work at McDonalds?

Seriously, who would work 6 days a week for that? That pay plus the hours is a big red flag in my opinion. I am sure turnover is very high there, especially for a local job.

11. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Do NOT take a local job that requires a commute of over an hour! And definitely not when it's a foodservice delivery job. They cannot guarantee how long your route will take each day, because you WILL have bad days that last 14+ hours. And don't even get me started on the pay. $18/hr is a slap in the face for a Class A CDL driver to run groceries down ramps all day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.