I seem to have a lot of trouble getting home time. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by mateynine, Apr 6, 2019.

1. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Okay so get this. I requested home time for the Indianapolis, IN terminal because for 2+ weeks now they haven't bothered routing me there. I need to pick up a decal and license plate for my truck. I just wanna get routed and I figured a HT request could speed up the process.

A few days in advance I inquired where they were sending me because I noticed they were routing me north east for some reason I had a preassign to Massachusetts so I messaged them about what state they were sending me to and they said "New Hampshire" so I corrected them on the location and sent another message telling them to cancel the home time.

They forced the Massachusetts load onto me that I tried to refuse and now I've been sitting at their drop yard for 25 hours waiting for a load only to be told by them that I'm on home time.

Their excuse was: "this just happens sometimes. there was some confusion."

"sometimes".
    This literally happened the last time I tried to take home time. I requested Brentwood, NH because I had a court hearing, I let them know about it 5 weeks in advance, and they started routing me to Texas and wouldn't take off any of the loads. I even spoke with the person doing the routing and he couldn't get anything lined up in time because I got routed too far away so I missed the hearing.

I can't make this stuff up dude! How the hell can dispatch & planners be THIS incompetent?
    There's just no way this can be an accident.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Take the MA load. Make sure you have enough fuel to empty out your load and deadhead to your terminal in NH. Take your hometime or quit. That's what I would do.

Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  4. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    The closest terminal is in Allentown, PA. Even though this is total bull#%# I want to do the strategic thing and line up another job before quitting. Easier said than done because what this company does to me is infuriating.

5. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Go online. Put in applications. Send in any documents via fax when you get to a truckstop. That's what I did when I wanted out of OTR.

FYI- Crete has a terminal in Macungie right down the road from Werner. You might want to inquire with them.

6. mateynine

mateynine Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Crete looks good but they turned down my application. I'll give JB hunt a try as well.

I'm okay with OTR. I don't mind being out for 2-4 weeks at a time. Having limited HT isn't the issue. The issue is getting home (on time), or just being sent to the wrong state/city. There's no reason for it.

I'm always missing important dates and appointments. I've missed 3 court hearings now.

7. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Swift did the same thing to me and I let it happen for 6 months before I quit while I was on hometime. I had a new gig lined up though. That's going to be your best strategy.

Best of luck to you.

mateynine Thanks this.
  8. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    If you have to rely on someone else to get you home, the best thing to do is the tell them a date 4-7 days before you need to be home. If you have to take a few extra days off, no big deal, but if you miss the court date, that's not good. Unfortunately, in the trucking industry, especially when you dont have your own truck, nothing is guaranteed. You can get pretty much anywhere in the country within 3 loads, but you may not necessarily be able to go straight there and you may have to go backwards in order to go forwards.

9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    werner is awesome, they have guys there with 1 million miles under their belt, prob 250k miles are unpaid but who is counting lol

10. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Hey folks, a lot of us do interstate driving because it is easy and pleasant (and pays pretty good too) but there is a mind set out there that interstate means being away from home for weeks at a time. It doesn't have to be that way. Get on a dedicated account where you live near the hub of operations. Find such a gig near you or be willing to move to it and you will get way better than advertised home time.

Just look around the closest industrial area in or near the town you live in. Which trucks dominate at particular warehouses? Those are likely dedicated customers for that trucking company where you would frequently get loaded or unloaded.

I followed this formula and I sleep in my own bed 12 nights per month and sometimes more.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  11. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Mr. Gathers is always on the radio sprouting off his mouth about how great Werner is and how they appreciate their drivers~I’d contact him and see if he practices what he preaches.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.