I was denied from a job because of my job hopping.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brown Moose, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Brown Moose

Brown Moose Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2023
    Alabama
    I was denied from a private fuel hauler job because I had too many jobs in a ten (10) year span according to the recruiter who called me. I only had six (6) jobs in the last ten (10) years.. Before trucking, I was in Law enforcement for five (5) years. Since receiving my CDL in 2021. I'm currently working for my third carrier.

Carrier one: A year and a half, was my starter company (Dry van)
    Carrier two: Only there for four months, left because I hated team driving (Dry van hazmat)
    Carrier three - Hazmat tanker: Been here for seven months now. I'm trying to leave because the pay is horrible. $0.51CPM loaded and empty. Last couple of months, I've only been grossing around $800/week for being OTR. Trying to stay for for another five months but my bills need to get paid.

I also been applying to local jobs here in Atlanta. But I been getting thanks but no thanks emails even for class B jobs. Could it be because of my job hopping which is why I been getting denied from other companies?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The times are tight and things usually tank before a presidential election so most places are only hiring what they think is the 'cream' of the crop of applicants. Not necessarily a job hopper but your total driving experience is only 29 months so you don't stand out from the rest.

Whoever said you were a job hopper was, most likely, pulling a reason from their behind.

4. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    With private carrier ? Yes possibly. Keep trying

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's hard to quit your way into the better jobs. Never work somewhere without getting all the details you need before you start. Many people now want to do a 30 second, online-only job search. That's not enough. If a company wants you they will put you in contact with current working drivers doing the same work as you want IF YOU ASK THEM.

6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Like @wis bang said times are kinda tight and any excuse to weed applicants down seems to be taken. I agree that could have just been what they decided to tell you. Dont let it get you down, I’ve beat myself up over not hearing back from a job I thought would be great, only to land at a place that fits me perfectly. Keep applying, keep your head up. That job coulda sucked anyway! Best of luck.

bryan21384, Sons Hero, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I was a job hopper. Can’t find the decent ones if you stay at the bad ones. I have worked for 3-4 companies twice. I now own my own truck. I don’t believe in any of that crap of staying somewhere to impress someone else. It may have been important decades ago but not now.

I agree with the other guys. Bad timing and maybe not enough seat time for the better jobs. Companies, like people can’t be honest and tell you the truth, so they find something not perfect and make that the reason.

A few years ago we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Heck, just a little experience was enough. See what I mean? It’s all BS. Just gotta sift through it and wait.

silverspur, Bud A., austinmike and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Take a dock job at a LTL carrier on a forklift probably pays more then starter OTR. Then bug the Terminal manager to be a driver. Probably bump up in a month or so. I’m seeing FedEx freight, etc looking to train in my area already. Worst you’ll have to wait til spring. When you work the dock you can get mad OT. To get by.

celticdriver23, tscottme and Freddy57 Thank this.
  9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You're giving reasons why you quit as if companies care. They don't care. All they know is you job hop. What reason will you come up with to quit them? That's their thinking, and you can't really blame them.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It is rather unfortunate this has happened to you, understand how frustrating it must be to not have a job as we need those regular pay checks to keep the wife happy and pay all those bills. First thing unless it would be dangerous for you to continue, is stick with the company you were employed at till you can secure another job to go to. That way there is only a short span between your next paycheck. Transport companies know exactly what other companies are like, and therefor changing jobs in this industry is not a reason for not employing you. However as others have mentioned now is a tough time in the industry if your looking for work as an OTR or even local driving job. So unless things are really bad with the employer, it may just pay to hang on for a while and put up with a few things till the economy picks up again. I'd rather have a bad employer than being unemployed if I was given the choice. In the mean time keep on knocking eventually a door will open for you. All the best mate.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Why would an employer want to hire you when you only stay for a few months and then move on to 'greener pastures'?
    All the while... never finding that green.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.