I was Locked out of truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Mar 10, 2021.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    It's not mine. Just a company driver here.
    Thank for the advice I will try it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You can unlock most vehicles with a piece of packing strap. And its free

77fib77 and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Living in a cold climate I always lock truck from outside for two reasons .. #1 I know I have my key #2 I don’t find out later lock is frozen I find out right away. Also have hidden key as backup

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Was at Budweiser in St.Louis a few weeks ago and a driver locked himself out. We tried 6 different Freightliner keys, and none would jiggle and unlock it, so Freightliner must have learned their lesson and started producing trucks with a bunch more tumbler combinations. Use to be only 5 or 6 different key cuts for Freightliner...heck, I unlocked some guys Century class with my '95 Jeep Cherokee's spare (right after Freighliner was bought by Diamler/Chrysler)..so things have changed on these newer model trucks.

7. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    @cattlman84

Someone could lose a tooth or two with that set up. I like it.!

8. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I own a small fleet. I keep a spare key on a carabiner under the hood of EVERY truck. Drivers sometimes accidentally take they key home with them, drop them, lose them, eat them, who knows what.

9. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I have a similar take, but I just leave a key in the ignition 24/7. My keyring with a second truck key is always in my pocket, even when driving. And there's a third in a magnetic holder somewhere on my truck too. This way I can leave it locked and running as I check in to a shipper or after pulling up from the fuel island.

ky waldo, tommymonza and Dino soar Thank this.
  10. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I've gotten into my locked Cascadia with other people's Cascadia keys a couple times. Just wana look for trucks most similar to your own in order to have the best odds. One of the nice things about a Cascadia, if there is such a thing, is there's lots of em. o_O

Then one other time I locked myself out, one of the first guys I asked for his key just happened to be driving a Cascadia that was towing another truck. He turned out to be a repo guy returning a repo truck. So yeah, he had ALL the keys. :p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Tug Toy, 77fib77 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    This is why the older trucks door locks had to be locked by the key only from the outside when closed.
    If you pushed lock and closed door it would automatically unlock. Door had to be closed to lock from inside as well.
    Now on most of them it allows you with door open to toggle the outside latch to open position with lock engaged and close it. That’s when you get that oh ##### feeling when you left the key in the truck. Lol!

tommymonza and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.