I5 Bridge Collapse in Washington

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Calspring, May 23, 2013.

1. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    Hey , so I was seeing double at the moment. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    No surprise; you break it, you buy it...

Court says trucking company to blame for bridge collapse — even though they had a permit

This week, the Washington Supreme Court ruled in favor of state transportation officials and against two trucking companies in the case of a 2013 bridge collapse involving an oversized load.

On Thursday, October 31, the Washington Supreme Court ruled against Canadian trucking company Mullen Trucking 2005 Ltd. and Motorways Trucking in a 5-4 decision, arguing that the Washington State Department of Transportation should not be held liable for a major bridge collapse.

The ruling comes after years of litigation in the wake of the collapse of the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River that occurred on May 23, 2013.

According to court documents, Mullen Trucking driver William Scott was transporting a 15 foot 11 inch oversized load from Canada to a location in Vancouver, Washington when the bridge collapse occurred.

Scott was reportedly boxed into the right lane by a Motorways Trucking semi at the time of bridge strike when only the left lane had enough clearance for the height of his load.

From the court documents:

As Scott neared the bridge, he noticed a truck behind him quickly approaching. About a half mile before they entered the bridge, the approaching truck,which was owned by codefendant Motorways Transport Ltd. and driven by Amandeep Sidhu, was “virtually beside” Scott on his left. As they entered the bridge, Sidhu’s truck was halfway beside Scott’s truck, confining Scott to the right side of the bridge. Scott’s oversize load struck the lower right curvature portion of 11 sway braces. Next there was a giant bang, and “everything got violent.”
    Two other vehicles carrying three people also fell into the river. No one was seriously injured.

Following the bridge collapse, state officials sued Mullen Trucking and Motorways Trucking for $17 million to help pay for bridge repairs.

In the lawsuit, state officials also accused the pilot car driver of distracted driving as she was allegedly talking to her husband on a hands-free device just before the bridge strike.

The trucking companies countersued, saying that the state had issued the permit to haul the oversized load on the route. The countersuit also argued that the bridge was poorly maintained by the state and that this contributed to bridge collapse.

In the end, the court ruled that the truck operators were responsible for making sure that they were clear to pass under a structure and that the state could not be held liable for damages caused by an oversized truck.

- Court says trucking company to blame for bridge collapse -- even though they had a permit

Bud A., Lepton1, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  4. War-Eagle

War-Eagle Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That's unfortunate. Based on what I've read, it looks like there is culpability on both the trucking company and the state. My opinion... liability should have been split equally between the parties involved. Oh, wait, what am I thinking... the state government being held responsible for something... not a chance!

As with any litigation, the true winners are the lawyers. But that's another matter!

Bud A., Lepton1 and Coffey Thank this.
  5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I can't understand why the Motorways truck passing on the left is being held liable. Are they saying he was speeding while passing on the left and that prevented the oversized load from moving over? I can't think of any other reason.

Lepton1 and Coffey Thank this.
  6. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    From what I can tell, the pilot car driver failed to block the Motorways truck from getting on the left side of the oversize truck while he was crossing the bridge. The left lane was where oversize needed to be in order to clear the bridge, and they apparently knew it.

I can't figure out why the oversize driver didn't slow down until he could get over to the left lane safely. Maybe it happened very fast. But I also can't figure out why the hell you would pass a 15'11" load on a narrow bridge. You can't wait thirty seconds to get around him in a wider spot? Motorways driver was an idiot too, and I think they deserve to get tagged for part of the repairs.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I ttrust people realize they are responding to a thread that is 6 years old?

Bud A. Thanks this.
  8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The Washington Supreme Court decision was just this past week.

It never hurts to be reminded of the inherent responsibilities and liabilities... especially in the O/S world.

Bud A., Lepton1 and Roberts450 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I remember when this went down (pun intended). It's good to get some follow up reporting from the Washington Supreme Court decision. There's still some unanswered questions regarding how it all happened.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  10. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Did I read right in seeing that the bridge was declared structurally deficient...in 1992??? Has the state done anything to even try to rebuild/refurbish that bridge since then? If not, wouldn't that then also put some liability back on the state for failing to address that? (I genuinely do not know which is why I pose the question.)

11. War-Eagle

War-Eagle Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It should, but we've got to remember that it's a state government agency and they aren't responsible (even through they truly are; in this case at least twice - bridge structure integrity & oversize permit).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.