If a CDL is the only requirement for instant hire why pay 50k+?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HogazWild, Jun 8, 2023.

1. HogazWild

HogazWild Light Load Member

May 18, 2022
    If most companies don't even look at employment history and a lot ignore criminal records, then why not just pay 30k year? Most of the public are still going to do it since they can't get or hold a job anywhere else

I seen C.R. England handing out pamphlets to homeless people like a decade ago

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Um, that's not true. Fact is, someone here who just completed their schooling, can't find a job, because they are a felon. I think job and personal history are more important than ever today. You can't BS a computer. Besides, companies can't find workers for $60 grand/yr. why would anyone bother at $30?

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Your 2 assumptions are wrong. All companies are required to look at employment history, up to 10 years, and I believe criminal records and the Feds audit those companies for regulatory compliance. Start a trucking company, you will get a visit from the feds or be required to show them your documents to prove you complied with the regulations.

If what CR England was doing was working they would be taking over the industry or the standard industry practice would be identical to CR England. Seeing one guy handing out pamphlets to the homeless doesn't tell you anything about whether that effort produced some, more, or less driver applicants than just putting an 800 number on the back of your trailers.

The top 20 trucking companies control a much smaller percentage of the industry than the top 20 companies in almost any other industry. That is one of the reasons for some of the problems. Nobody has enough leverage for certain changes.

rockeee Thanks this.
  5. HogazWild

HogazWild Light Load Member

May 18, 2022
    "All companies are required to look at employment history, up to 10 years"

I personally know someone who did time and had no work history at 41, and got on at US Express 1.5 years out. That was seven years ago and now they run intermodal out of Savannah, GA, so that's a lie...

Western Express, which is actually famous for hiring ex cons, isn't paying 60k, and have pre-wrecked trucks, and have blown out orientations.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to try and say schools aren't crowded

If requirements are nil and the public is pouring in for far less than 60k, then why keep up with the BS? It's basically a modern temp agency or day labor office

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Because if the trucking companies don’t snap ‘em up with higher pay, McDonalds will swoop in and snag ‘em for an impressive $15 an hour!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho

Screen shot directly from FMCSA website...
    Capture+_2023-06-08-09-11-08.png

They are required to verify employment history, or lack therof (ie school, incarceration, military service, volunteer service). Doesn't mean they cant hire who they want provided they can verify the provided history for last 10 years.

rockeee, drvrtech77 and tscottme Thank this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You answered your own question. Trucking companies do check references and most of them I know about check criminal background also. Most of the reputable companies don't want to take a chance on a driver with a criminal history unless the company is desperate for employees.
    Their insurance companies also run checks.

9. tscottme

Lawyer: So ABC Trucking knew, or should have known, the driver they were hiring was a convicted murderer and they gave this driver a $150,000.00 truck, a credit card for fuel, and pointed him at the West Coast and hoped for the best. My client is only asking to be compensated for the death of 3 children and a lifetime full of suffering, $100 million dollars.

Jury: $200 million dollars awarded to the plaintiff

plynnjr92 and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  10. Aoki Gahara

Aoki Gahara Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Ah, trucking....where the wild road and outlaws in imagination still exist, the industry with 3rd and 4th chances. Just bring your sleeveless t-shirt, chain drive wallet and dreams of grandeur.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

Don't forget your flip-flops and filthy socks, and just pour a gallon of urine on the ground while parked at the truck stop, that's what it's there for.

singlescrewshaker and Aoki Gahara Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.