*If* speed limiters are required how will it affect you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Aug 14, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Speed limiters are being talked about by DOT. I think they are pushing for limiters just like they did with electric logs and eventually we'll be stuck with them. But they aren't here yet.
    But what happens when we do get them?
    Let's say for arguments sake that the speed is either set at 65 or maybe 55 like in CA.
    You couldn't not have it setup due to inspections and the fact that if you pass another truck they'd know something was up.

Would there be a pay increase to offset the lost time and miles?
    Could you still make the same runs you do now?
    How would limiters affect how you do your job?

For me it's mixed. Some jobs will just take longer while other ones have a tight schedule and would need to be completed after a reset instead of before one.
    Minutes matter in trucking sometimes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    I run ltl linehaul, I'm already governed at 65. If its kept at 65 then our runs dont change at first. If it was mandated at 55 we would lose a significant amount of runs. And a number of centers cant run to our hub at night.

What i am concerned about, if limiters go into effect. Is there will be people driving in all lanes blocking traffic. Which will create people driving worse than they do now. Increase the number of people willing to drive down the shoulder at highway speeds. Cutting off, brake checking and more road rage. It will be a mess in my opinion and make driving more dangerous than it is now.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I run MI, and rarely IN. I'm already limited to 65 so it wouldn't affect me at all.

InTooDeep, 88 Alpha and bzinger Thank this.
  5. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s exactly what happened when they mandated limiters in Ontario. The 401 is useless with every truck in the province moving the same speed. You can drive from Detroit to Montreal with 3 or 4 other trucks no more than 20’ from you the entire way up to your ### in road raging 4 wheelers trying to get around the trucks. It’s chaos, and I don’t know how they can say it’s for highway safety with a straight face.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    The ata is behind this mess for sure…

7. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Ahhh, we need more rules. Not enough rules. Let's make new rule. More rules. Ahhh. ku9oPzGq8f20M.gif

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    It will affect everyone, including currently governed company trucks full of speed envy. Four wheelers, pedestrian, disabled vehicles, road crews or anyone else even remotely close to a road will be on dangerous ground due to negligent drivers.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It will affect nobody because I don't believe it will happen..will believe it when I see it. However.....if drivers are so scared of speed limiters, then maybe they should drive better.

mnmover Thanks this.
  11. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Whatever speed you guys are governed at, I'll be going 5 mph slower.

My safety lies in not being near you guys. No offense. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.