If You Are A Rookie Looking For A Job

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 315wheelbase, Dec 1, 2014.

1. aduiepyle

aduiepyle Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    I had him drop the loaded trailer bobtail out nd i went to rescue the trailer with a yard jockey truck it was sunday i let him struggle for like 5 hours before i went to rescue him because i was working at the yard moving trailers from spot to dock nd by the time we get done he was out of hours nd trucks always go there because the gps will tell you too nd he said it was his first load with a new kenworth nd a new mcnally gps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Can only imagine what his dispatcher said.I've gotten myself in binds before especially just starting out and you learn from it..The first 2 months was literally hell till I finally got home and got myself a dog and that helped tremendously.Never had too many mishaps after that.

4. aduiepyle

Oct 30, 2014
    My third load i took the wrong exit nd i went straight through an apartment complex i stayed there for 9 hours until the parking lot was clear for me to turn around, i was so mad.

5. Aimstraight

Aimstraight Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Central CA
    Wow. There's so much misinformation here I think that after 46 years in trucking the OP may have finally lost it.

Don't lease from a mega carrier. That is sound advice. The rest is dubious at best.

surfernabox Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Did that a time or too,lol.I can laugh now but certainly wasn't funny back then.Lucky for me someone was always there to help me out.One time a truck driver came to my rescue,how ironic is that,lol.Then a couple times in a hotel parking lot.

surfernabox Thanks this.
  7. aduiepyle

Oct 30, 2014
    Sounds like everyone has a story about when they first started my friend was pulling a double for conway nd he didn't know if the dolly nd the trailer ran away to the tree until he checked his mirror 15 minutes later down the road he said he didn't hear no noise nd he didnt have the safety chain on worst scenario ever.

8. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    New guy's problem is that he didn't understand that most companies give you the street address of the business also known as the car entrance. We all know we are not welcomed for the most part in the front. We only get the backdoor entrance. He will learn with experiences like these you check your directions and not trust your GPS.

9. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Move to mn, we need 1 for like 21 its union exc... nebior co needs 2 at 24 nither one is very physical,

10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Schneider treated me well in my first few years on the road. I was home every other weekend for three days, no if's and but's about it. I was paid an okay wage, drove a 2 year old truck that I cared for like it was my own, and stayed busy. The first four years of my driving career were the best years of my my life because...I LOVED THE JOB! If you think your first year is bad you need to quit because it will not get any better for you.

Fast forward 8 years and I quickly discovered that pulling a tanker was the only way for me to continue. Better wages, better benefits, paid holidays, and most importantly 50% of all miles are empty and all pay the same. I've delivered from Texas up to Oregon many times. Two hours to unload and drive home. The amount of time saved by not waiting around for shippers and back hauls is astronomical. For the last year I have hauled drilling fluid to North Dakota up from Texas. Pick up a preloaded trailer on Tuesday, deliver in Fargo Thursday, and home by Friday afternoon and all on e-logs. 2,587 miles round trip @ 51 cpm works just fine for me. Paychecks don't very by one penny per week unless it's a holiday week.

I agree with the OP in the fact that you will never earn a good solid hauling junk van and reefer freight. It's a life of mediocrity at best and if that works for you then you have succeeded and that's all that matters.

11. TallJack

TallJack Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Normally I don't trust somebody, who is ready to eat my dog or cat for breakfast. Go back to the #### hole you just crawl out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.