If you had $70K to start on your own would you buy outright or finance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by staceydude, Jun 27, 2020.

1. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    When I lived out in Jersey. If you had an old truck registered you would grandfathered in but a new sticker, you have to meet the requirements.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, I have had my current pre emission for a long time. Haven't had any issues

tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Why do you rate the reliability of a Volvo higher than any other brand - what year range are you talking, and are we strictly speaking of the truck without involving the engine/transmission.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I still see lots of old beater pier rat trucks running around port Newark/Elizabeth. Deliver across the street from the piers. The container crowd has moved over to Amazon now LOL

D.Tibbitt and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Because everyone knows the chicks "dig" Volvos, especially white ones ;-)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well.....anything 2010 and above is all ove experienced. 2010 is when I started. I like them because of durability, fuel mileage and driveability. Of all the brands I've driven, I've been in the repair shop the least with Volvos. Its feasible to get 8 mpg. As for driveability, I think it pulls better than any brand I've driven, great turn radius, easy to maneuver. The only drawback about the Volvos is that if you have an automatic, the transmission has been known to give problems at around 700k. One mechanic at the dealer told me that the spicket bearing in the transmission is a frequent issue, and can be an expensive one.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That’s about the best summary of my opinion right there.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I’d agree with your comments.

Reason I ask specifics, is that 1998-2002 (?) Volvo had 12.7, N14 and perhaps CAT motors installed. They were touted as a solidly reliable choice for new entrants, but I suspect mainly for the engines - not so much the truck.

That said - 20+ years on, I’m interested as to how the trucks held up.

And how expensive replacement interior and body parts were.

My T2000 - 2001 year, with N14 was a great truck - but age was beginning to become a factor in interior and body parts.

tommymonza, bryan21384 and Dan.S Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    My opinion doesn't really amount to much, so take it with a grain of salt. The frequency of emissions related problems have been greatly reduced over the last several years. I bought a new 2016 Volvo 670, with a D13 455 HP motor, with I-Shift, in December of 2015.

I have had virtually no issues related to the after treatment system in 425,000 miles. I had the 7th injector (dosing valve) replaced (by choice) at 250,000 miles and had a module & seal ring replaced (under warranty) at 303,000 miles. That's it.

The truck has been amazingly reliable. Oh, like every truck, there's been things that were taken care of under warranty and out of warranty, however, in the whole scheme of things, nothing earth shattering.

I was just looking at my out of pocket (and warranty) money I've spent on the truck. In 425,000 miles my maintenance costs are $0.03 a mile. Of course that doesn't include normal A & B services or tires.

However, $0.03 a mile in almost 5 years isn't too bad...

My lifetime fuel mpg is 7.2. The truck is comfortable and drives like a Cadillac, well maybe not that nice, but you get my drift.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the truck, keep, sell or trade yet. I'm at the age (63) where I'm not sure I want to take on another new truck payment. However, if I were a little younger, I wouldn't hesitate to sell it and get one of those new VNL860's ;-)

11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well actually - your opinion is valid in the much thrashed new/old discussion.

Your start point was close to mine - yet your miles are far greater, thus skewing a ‘cpm’ debate.

But it never left you on the side of the road. And obviously hasn’t ended your business plan.

We’d have to run a bunch of figures and spreadsheets to get to apples vs apples.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.