im looking to start a truck driving career, but im broke

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by michael258, Jul 4, 2018.

1. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I reccomend Farm2Fleet (F2F). I heard it's an outstanding company that really takes care of their drivers.

7-UP, SAR and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. New/OldSchoolTrucker89

New/OldSchoolTrucker89 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Florida
    Why not Prime? I went with them, great training program but after that year go elsewhere.

WakeUpTheEchoes Thanks this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well i got good news and bad news... Good news is i and many other ppl started truckin cus they were broke ... Bad news is most of us is still broke lol

homeskillet and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    I know this post is old, but it is so humbling to see. A reminder as to just how dangerous driving a tractor-trailer is. Yet everyday there are people posting messages on here complaining about how difficult the hiring process is for a truck driver position. Are videos like this shown during driver training? They should be before a person every gets behind the wheel of a big truck. Sad. Very sad.

Farmerbob1 and COBB2070 Thank this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It's supposed to be one of the more dangerous jobs you can get into. But still not that dangerous when you look at the numbers. It's something like 9-12 fatalities a year per 100,000 drivers. The larger danger is probably to smaller vehicles on the road around you.

There are a few cases where risk goes up like a bridge that connects Maryland with New Jersey comes to mind. I hate that bridge. But the overall you are just sitting on a freeway with a lot of flat land around you.

That bridge last time I went on to it, I was coming down that hill and it curved to start the bridge. I came down it a little too fast and I felt my drives slide a small amount to the right. Will be driving that bridge again this weekend, I'll know to go down that hill a little slower. The bridge begins and there's a steep drop down to the water. The bridge is also known for high wind and there's only a concrete freeway divider there. The first time I traversed that bridge with my trainer it was shut down due to wind too strong and we had to wait about 5 hours before they would let us cross.

misterG and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Danger to others on the road is exactly my point. I think a lot of people thinking of beginning a career as a truck driver don’t appreciate the latent danger that they pose to those around them. How quickly a situation can go from difficult to bad to catastrophic I don’t think people having not yet driven a large truck truly grasp, at least not typically. Always exceptions.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    That's human nature. We live in a civilized society with not a lot of death for people to learn from.

The recent runaway truck in Colorado is an example. The driver survived, but some people didn't.

Farmerbob1 and WakeUpTheEchoes Thank this.
  9. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    I am oblivious to that incident. I need to look that one up.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    There's good video of that one on youtube.

WakeUpTheEchoes and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Steven's Transport and Trans Am both have training facilities near Dallas, and I believe they both offer contract repayment options so you do not have to pay up front for school.

Steven's provided a cheap lunch every school day, and a hotel room. Other meals are up to you. Once you get on the road with a trainer, you get training pay that will mostly feed you. Some trainers will pay for some of your food if you are pulling your own weight.

I ate a whole lot of peanut butter sandwiches for my first couple weeks with Steven's Transport.

WakeUpTheEchoes and COBB2070 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.