I'm sold on light steady pressure rather than snubbing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Reaper'sTrucking, Nov 27, 2022.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    A good motor with good engine brakes should require very little use of the foot brake if using proper gear

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The reasoning against steady breaking was based on the fact thay back in day, it wasn't uncommon for brake adjustment to vary significantly at the various wheel ends of a tractor trailer. Because of this, light steady breaking would often result in one or more of the drums doing very little braking and the others overheating as they had to try to dissipate the energy of the loose brakes, too. Steady braking wasn't a problem in a truck with properly maintained and adjusted brakes. Autoslacks largely eliminated this as a problem, although unbalanced application is still an issue with very light brake pressures, as even the best maintained brakes will have some variation in stiction in the slack/cam/shoe mechanism.

Oxbow, Bean Jr., 2Tap and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It's not wrong, it is an allegory that is meant to draw out the thinkers on this forum; however, one can surmise that number to be on the nearly nonexistent side when you have the vast majority of people here equating 'stab' braking with 'snub' braking.

5. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Thats because many of us were made to watch an outdated Bendix video on braking where the term was used interchangeably.
    I remember the instructor telling us that terms had changed and stab braking meant something different now and to just pretend the voice over was saying "snub" whenever he said stab

2Tap, scottied67 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Reaper'sTrucking

Reaper'sTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2020
    How about this...I'll drive how the #### I wanna drive and you drive how you wanna drive. You're not gonna change my mind and I'm not gonna change your mind so sitting here arguing with everyone isn't gonna get you anywhere

7. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Way back when.. Gas,engines, 4axles, main mountain was Monteagle, TN. Young driver was told by the main men who were running the west coast.
    West coast tractors have a gauge in the airlines. Never put over 10 pounds in the lines, hold it steady and you will not have a problem. Seems logical.

Oxbow and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  8. JolliRoger

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Mine smoked white smoke, and it tended to hover..... This heck smoke you speak of???

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Basically how I was taught in school, light steady pressure, 10 psi max was good enough, if it wasn't then I was in too high a gear. I can count on one hand the number of times I've smoked brakes coming out of the mountains.

2Tap and JolliRoger Thank this.
  10. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Depends on the state and the cop

11. JolliRoger

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    True; But I subscribe to the airplane pilots axiom... Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, and if you can use the plane again, textbook. Was able to wind up several rounds on the slacks at bottom of Monteagle once, no serious after effects.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.