IMPORTANT - PLEASE HELP - A few quick questions guys...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SEOGuy, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I just tell em im not in Kansas anymore.

HoneyBadger67, not4hire and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    What I will assume he meant by that is that most truck drivers are not locals. They don't know the landmarks. They don't know the nearby towns. This is mostly true.

Even a GPS will not tell you the town you are closest to accurately. I'm pretty sure they base their map data off postal code maps. The problem with that is that postal code maps are not reliable for naming the closest local towns. For instance, The Gaston, SC post office delivers into parts of Lexington, SC. The Hampton, GA post office delivers into parts of Clayton, GA. I'm sure other drivers could provide a ton of other examples.

No gear will tell you where you are, including local flavor.

If you are on the interstate, it's pretty easy. I-whatever, South/North/East/West mile marker Z.

Once you get off the interstate, a driver should know the route, but they won't have a local's knowledge.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Well he does make some good points at times, eben for a landstar stranger.

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If you're on a road without mile markers, just pay attention to landmarks and your odometer - it tells you to within a tenth of a mile how far you are past the last town you went through or major intersection you crossed.

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yeah, the problem with that is that if you are off the interstates, you should be paying more attention to the environment around you, not less. Non-interstate roads tend to have a lot more non-vehicle hazards then interstates. Pedestrians. Livestock. Really Huge Potholes. Roads and drives hidden / obscured by hills or vegetation.

It can be done, and if I have poor reception on my phone I will try to watch my odometer, but if I have good reception?

Pop open google audio search. "Where am I?" and then "Route me to <nearest town, state.>"

Then if I need help, I can tell them exactly where I am.

7. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Which geo system do you use? Difference sometime couple miles if they use different one..

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    garmin Dezl with my smartphone. Both are within feet of each other.

9. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I know that Google maps, Waze, and Verizon ELD all use some weird outdated info, like you're talking about.

Out here in rural OK, there are a LOT of old "towns" that either were rolled together with the nearest bigger one or just don't exist anymore. It does no good to reference an obscure old town that sometimes even locals don't remember.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    There is another tool that I keep on my phone, and use to update my mother where I am at the end of every working day. Glympse. If I have any wireless connection at all, I can send a Glympse to anyone vie email, which will tell them exactly where I am, and even provide tracking data to my location.

I've never used it for anything but keeping my mother happy, but it could be very useful in some places.

11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Google Maps has location sharing with either ongoing, or for one hour settings. I have it on full-time sharing with my wife so that if I don't come home when I go on motorcycle rides, she knows which ditch to start looking in. Nothing to update or send, it is available to the recipient at any time according to the sharing parameters.

Yes, I realize it allows the evil empire to track my movements, but it isn't like there aren't a million other apps, cameras, etc., doing that too.

brian991219 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.