Improving Ride on 07 T-600

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RTR, Feb 26, 2017.

1. RTR

RTR Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Alabama
    Anyone have any good advice on getting the ride more comfortable on my 07 T-600. This is a former Melton Truck that I bought in 2012. Currently has 1,063,550 miles on it.

Just recently replaced leaf springs, spring pins, bushings and hangers. Also new shocks.

When this truck hits a bump it feels like there is no support under it.

Alignment checked, per MD Alignment advice had caster set at 2 degrees.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area

4. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Some trucks just ride like lumber wagons. If ride quality was the issue, I would have looked into some atro urethane bushings when I was replacing them, they freely rotate so they don't have that snap back.

But as for what you can do now, make sure your ride height is adjusted properly and not over inflated. Lowering your Tire pressures will give a better ride but could be at the cost of fuel mileage. I've also hear guys talk about Gabriel adjustable ride shocks although I've never seen them, maybe that could be a option to help out.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Have you ever put new shocks under the rear of the sleeper cab? I have an 03 T600 which is probably not much different from yours. The rear suspensions may vary. Mines an AG380 and it rides really good.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. RTR

RTR Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Alabama
    I changed the cab shocks and air bags 2 years ago and didn't notice much of a difference in the ride.

I have tried Gabriel air shocks about three years ago and could not really tell a big difference between them and the OEM shocks from paccar

I have thought about investing in Road King shocks on the steer axle but after reading reviews it's half and half good to terrible.

7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I noticed Volvo truck rode comfortable when I was in school and it had air bags on front suspension.
    My kw t660 rides rough as well, I havent replaced cab shocks or suspension shocks on it and it has 500k miles on it.

8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Volvos always ride nice. Pete low air leaf does as well, my Columbia and Coronado were smooth but the Kenworth 8 bag I found rode like crap and western stars may as well be a spring suspension. I test drove a 2016 star and my 99 international 9300 with the dreaded z spring Hendrickson rode better.

9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I always find it funny when people will say a certain brand of truck rides like crap.
    Essentially they are all the same. Its the specs that determines the ride.
    Its things like frame rail thickness and length. Types of suspention obviously.
    Air ride cab or even air ride steer axle.
    Hell it even makes a big difference what kind of seat it has.
    But to say one brand rides better then another brand is just stupidly.
    The only exception seems to be volvo and i contribute that to the very long leafs on the set back steer axle. They lean , dip and dive but boy they sure ride nice .
    Put a 16,000lb front axle in anything and its going to ride like a lumber wagon.

ajax1337, magoo68 and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I had a Columbia and a star, same exact suspension with the same axle spread with the only difference being the star had air on the steer axle ad well.

Columbia still rode way better.

11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Well comon sence would tell you something had to be different. Frame thickness 3/8 or 5/16 maybe .
    You cant tell me if you put the western star cab on the columbia chassis its suddenly gonna ride ruff.
    Maybe its the type of cab air ride. Who knows but something is different.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.