In-transit Heat on MT Tank?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Southeast Trucker Mike, May 26, 2018.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Ya, I’ve always been told not to run heat on empty trailer........

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    150psi steam is different than engine coolant.

4. Patrick64

Patrick64 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2020
    My intransit just stopped working is there a fuse or connection that I could check?

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    It states on all of our Brenner tanks not to heat it unless there's product in the tank. 3 hrs to wash out is a little extreme. Superior Carriers washes out our tanks and they have them done in 1 1/2 hrs even if it's hardened waxy substance with a heel. They heat the trailer with hot steam and then wash it out

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When you get into 150 pounds of steam pressure you are essentially in the same realm as of the old time steam locomotives which can with special builds carry up to 340 pounds but usually 240 or so pounds.

I don't think 210F is going to hurt anything on the trailer when you are running steam through there at pressures capable of if released into the open atmosphere will expand about 1600 times volume.

I have trouble considering the idea that the trailer needs somehow to be warm when one has unloaded product already at warm. The thing will still have some warm when you get it into a wash out facility.

Its not my forte but in Milk tanking we do not have any of that, just valves to pull product by suction. Then immediately sanitize at temperatures high enough to kill anything and everything inside of it.

The one thing we dont do is try to unload the liquid without hatch being open. The motors are strong enough to crush the tanker just like a beer can.

7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Someone accidently close a valve? Make sure the valve that sometimes sits between the trailer inlet and outlet valves is completely closed.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Sometimes it is the wash rack.

Either substandard equipment of poor practices can prolong the cleaning of viscous products.

Used to send resin into Canada and their wash rack complained it needed to be solvent washed. The shipper had their own tankers and wouldn't pay for more than hot water...

Our boss had started out cleaning tanks to pay for college...he went up and showed up close to the time one of our guys pulled in with a resin tank and, as planned, break time.

He bought the whole place coffee and doughnuts and kept them occupied longer than normal.

Then he had them hot water flush the tank with the hot water that had stabilized at it's peak temp during the break and cleaned the resin with our setting any up.....

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.