Independent insurance Cost for new carriers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Annonymous, Jun 30, 2017.

1. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    I have viewing this about your insurance and i thought of going o/o next year so i called around about new authority and going from local to otr. I got qote from a company called NITIC out of new jersey. 11,200.00 year 900 a month. They by your experience mostly. Hope that can help you if you need there no. Let me know

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Progressive quoted me $14k for everything back in 2014 when I was getting ready to go out on my own.

kimbosa Thanks this.
  4. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Why not call the company that gave you the initial quote and ask them why it's so high? Sounds to me like they made some sort of clerical error.

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's about what I pay now. My first year How huge of a rate drop can I expect in 2 years, if nothing changes to my record and equipment?

6. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I could not begin to guess. I ended up not going out on my own, yet.

7. Annonymous

Annonymous Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Connecticut
    On my pre-trip I noticed the inside rear tire on the trailer was somewhat low so I called my breakdown Department and they told me there was a Love's service center 15 miles away and that they were going to call and set it up for me so on my way there I passed away station and just my luck they call me in for an inspection and by then the trailer was completely flat and they put it out of service they didn't care that I was in route to getting it fixed I believe it was in Ohio or Indiana

8. Annonymous

Annonymous Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Connecticut
    I didn't know this.... So I can't just hop in the truck and drive under his authority and insurance? I thought it would be okay?

9. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    You may have the office end of things licked with experience but sounds like you need some actual real world driving experience as well. Not knowing you have to be approved by the insurance company to be operating the equipment is really basic stuff. Driving a flat tire down the road knowing it's going to be an OOS service violation BUT not knowing there was coup on route shows you have mush to learn as well.

Annonymous and Ruthless Thank this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    You can. Nobody is going to check unless there is trouble. If you get in an accident they don't have to cover it. Your buddy can get screwed.

11. Prevatt315

Prevatt315 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Exact same coverage you cited:

$17,949 yr
    $2992 down
    $1498.69 10 payments

My verifiable experience is over 20 years old and that is for a new authority and license.

I don't know where they got those numbers for you.

Just got off the phone with Progressive. We are existing customers with an auto policy.

Red.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.