Information on a couple things

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Devi343, Nov 2, 2020.

1. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    if you don't like the answers others ate giving you.... there the search button.
    alot of threads on this topic

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Wow.

You tell us that the hardest part of the job is leaving your daughter.

Some of us respond with ways that you can go to work not only to see your daughter everyday, but then you can actually get a great job that often are union jobs with full benefits for your daughter by the way, and you tell everyone to mind their own business because you want to go to work for a mega somewhere and make minimum wage and be their slave.

Then you insult a moderator that's trying to explain to you that there are other options and people are trying to be helpful.

Call your recruiter and ask him what you need because recruiters know everything about the job and whatever they tell you is 100% factual.

After all, they don't even know what the inside of a truck looks like.

4. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Sandals, you're going to need sandals.

5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Don't put the cart in front of the horse. As a trainee in someone elses truck, don't bring much with you to start out. 1 soft duffle bag of stuff while you're camping out in their truck. 1 soft bag.

Yellow vest, hardhat, safety glasses, steel toed boots, a high quality small flashlight that runs on AAA batteries and a spare pkg of batteries, gloves, a padlock, spare eyeglasses if you wear them, a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant are all good things from the get-go. Your laptop computer. Your health insurance card. A credit card with $500 available on it.

A mask and earplugs to sleep in the daytime. A few blue COVID masks if they're required by a shipper or receiver. Hand sanitizer and some Clorox wipes. A box of Kleenex. 10 empty Wal-Mart bags for your trash.

A roll of black electrical tape. A small Vise-Grips. A screwdriver with different sized flat and Phillips bits.

Eyedrops for dry eyes. A bag of cough lozenges. A copy of your eyeglass prescription, and any prescription medicines you take. A tube of AsperCreme and a bottle of Advil, because some of your muscles are gonna ache in ways you've never imagined, for the first 6 or 8 weeks. A tiny first aid kit until you learn to man-up and just bleed like a real truck driver. Bleeding usually stops pretty quick.

A truckers atlas. #### a GPS, learn how to use the #### maps and Google Earth. (Download Google Earth on your laptop using your Wi-Fi before you leave, so you always have it even without a cell signal. It will take hours but worth doing. And trust me - you'll be places with no signal.)

Until you're in your own truck, forget a camera.
    You're gonna be the one everyone ELSE is watching out for, for awhile. And yes, we'll be able to tell from a 1000 yards. Don't matter how well you drive a Honda Civic, it ain't a truck.

As far as someday becoming a tanker driver and being home every night, you're going to need to know how to drive a manual. No ifs, ands, or buts. Every tanker driver I've met drives a 13 speed, but then again, theres OTR mega tanker outfits that run automatics and just run interstates I guess. They're just not home every night.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  6. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    After 22 years, 10 as a company driver, 12 as an owner op, I bought my first brand new truck. It’s an auto. My next one I’ll spec myself. With a manual. You know why? Cuz I can. Take note.

7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Just read the thread and I guess all I can say is I guess It’s not like we know the industry or anything.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Yes, all commercial vehicles are required to have 3 road triangles and fire extinguisher.
    No first aid kit required, but I’ve got one in mine that I’ve bought.

9. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    That’s because you’re asking the wrong questions. Questions that have been answered here thousands of times if you searched.

It’s fairly simple. Do a year at one place. Learn all you can. Get all your endorsements. Move on.

LoboSolo, JolliRoger and meechyaboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.