Infuriate a Trucker in One Sentence

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by motocross25, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I don't really have a sentence. It's a situation and it happened yesterday . Shell Chemicals in Geismar gives you exactly 15 minutes leeway after your appointment then all is cancelled! First time at 06:00 there was a number missing and dispatch didn't get it fast enough... at 06:45 "cancelled"!!! second time at 10:30 there was a strapping chart missing... cancelled at 10:45 on the dot...
    I understand wanting to keep things flowing but 15 min leeway just isn't enough. By the time they tell you what's missing, you contact mothership and get an answer : pouff! You're out of luck.
    Sorry for the little rant.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    misterG, Lumper Humper and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Here s 2 more that happen to me recently:

Last Sunday, I pulled up to Walmart in Red Bluff, CA 930am for 10am appt. LP called receiving dept and let them know I was there. 10 minutes later and 2 phone calls they tell me " Your appointment is in the system, but the AG inspector is not here today, so we can t take the load today, you will have to reschedule". Then they had the nerve to try to blame my company and the broker for the appt being set. That was the first and last time that I will haul a nursery load into CA

Instance 2. I told my company that I needed to get through the house to get some important stuff. " Oh we ll do our best we don t have anything going that way" So they sent me to pick up a load that goes to Winnipeg, and when the forklift driver came and asked me where I was going, I told him, and the second load they had actually went by the house and delivered 20 minutes away. Man I was mad as hell, and went off something fierce for them lying

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Just passing by Thanks this.
  4. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I have a feeling this one has been posted in this thread already in one form or another but...

"What time you getting off?"

I'd imagine most my fellow drivers know what the 3 word response to this naive question usually is

5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    What seems to be the problem?
    The weather isn't bad here!

6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Had a good one yesterday. The load I was supposed to pick up and haul into Georgia could not be made legal. 34,200 lbs at 41 foot from king to center of tandems. AL, TN, NC all have the same 41 foot bridge law.

Site had their own certified scale, but the security guard was trying to pressure me into rolling illegal.

Guard:
    "Well, they won't rework a load unless it is over gross."
    Me:
    "That's fine. I won't haul a illegal load."
    Guard:
    "Guess they'll just have to find another driver that will."
    Me:
    "Maybe so, but I won't haul it if it isn't legal. I'll just go drop the trailer where I found it, and bobtail somewhere."

So, rolled off bobtail to shut down for the night (only had 90 minutes left on my 14.)

Next morning, I called as soon as the CSR was in, and the load was reworked and ready for me when I finished my 10 and rolled back to pick it up.

I managed to get through it all without raising my voice, but it was difficult not to go off on the guard.

Gearjammin' Penguin and misterG Thank this.
  7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Hey,so you made it 40 miles out of Atlanta."Im sorry...we Need you to go back to the Shipper...They left something off your load,try to Hurry...they close in an Hour.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I really wouldn't sweat 200 lbs. Maybe if it was severe incompetence, but why waste so much time on something no scale will blink at?

9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I probably could have run the load without issue, but if a site can't manage to make their loads legal, they need to adjust their loading software, or train their forklift operators better.

That's not the first illegal load I've had reworked by this national account customer, but it is the first time I've had a security guard at one of their locations try to get me to take a load with those sorts of comments.

Several times guards at different locations have asked questions about laws and loads, but that's perfectly fine. Try to verbally coerce me into taking an illegal load? Nope.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Actual conversation at a reciever.......

"But the other drivers do it all the time."

"I'm sure they do, but I don't. Find a different dock."

misterG and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    “Pull in here and do a U turn then back in”
    Failing to mention it’s a tight turn for the yard dog......
    No way a sleeper cab is doing that.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.