Interested in getting my cdl but I have some history.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by vinnyfibonacci, Apr 18, 2024.

1. vinnyfibonacci

vinnyfibonacci Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2024
    Why would they possibly take me with 1099?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    1099 outfits, in many cases, cut corners and bend the rules.

tscottme, blairandgretchen and flood Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sons Hero Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I’ll be a little too honest here. Take it as you will.

I came here from NZ at 28 years old, with a DUI and a couple of speeding tickets, one of which should have been “evading law enforcement “ from when I was 15-17 years old. I learned, behaved better.

What nobody tells kids born in the US, is how their actions affect holding a CDL.

I basically started at 28 years old with a clean slate - had to get my car license, CDL etc. Because the US ignores any off shore records, unless you’re a total criminal.

And maybe this explains the amount of immigrant drivers here on the roads.

To be eligible for a decent CDL job in the US now, they expect you to be pure as the driven snow. Forget obtaining a TWIC or hazmat endorsement if you have a range of court charges.

After 6 years clean, as you state - you would expect that companies would be willing to give you a chance, And after 6 years, they should. But - as posted by others, the options are trash companies or 1099 (technically illegal) -

Time will be in your favor, distancing from past errors.

Thanks for being honest and posting the truth about your history. You’ll get a lot better advice here , as opposed to the muppet heads that post vague information then argue when questioned.

Good luck - drive safe

Bud A., Concorde, tscottme and 9 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh my GOD, looks more like a rap sheet from Al Capone. These aren't minor offenses, and I couldn't imagine an employer would hire anyone with a record like that. We'd have been laughed out of the office, BUT, I realize, that was then, this is now. I mean no disrespect to the poster, maybe a little, we strived to keep our records clean. It was a "shoe-in" for the next job and quite frankly, with a record like that, we wouldn't embarrass ourselves even applying. The only salvation back then with a record like that, was drive for a shyster that had the same record, but couldn't drive anymore, and I did. Good luck, I think there are ways to make a living with that record, but I doubt even the lesser trucking companies can take a chance with insurance the way it is.

7. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. Go to their websites and see what the hiring criteria are. It's your job to answer truthfully; it's their job to ask the questions. If the question is about DUIs in the last 5 years, don't volunteer information on something from 7 years ago. If they want that information, it's up to them to ask.

That said, I think the Possession and Delivery of Controlled Substance, and Leaving the Scene of an Accident will be at least as much of a barrier.

flood, tscottme, Chinatown and 2 others Thank this.
  8. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Most good ones...4 weeks = 160 + hours.

BlessedWayy and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. Those will be red flags for anyone looking at his record.

Bud A., tscottme and Sons Hero Thank this.
  10. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    I wouldn't recommend truck driving anymore if you have other choices available. One mishap and you get fired and become unhireable. All that time invested is wasted.

201 and tscottme Thank this.
  11. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.