Interstate Travel at 18

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ahwissinger, Dec 5, 2023.

1. ahwissinger

ahwissinger Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2023
    Hello,

I am 18 and in the state of NC.
    I know to cross state lines with a vehicle over 26,000 lbs I need a CDL and have to be 21 years old.
    If I was under the 26,000 lb limit, would I be able to cross to other states? I plan on having a DOT/MC number, insurance, etc, the only concern is my age. I can't find anything else about the subject. I plan to get my CDL soon, but either way I have to be 21 to go out of the state with it.

Thanks/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    I doubt that law is current.

4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    “engaged in interstate commerce” those are the key words right there.

must be at least 21 years of age

Look on the bright side.the gov says that you’re old enough to get your head blown off in a foreign country.

Unfortunately you have to wait until you’re 21 to do dangerous things like smoke cigarettes, drink beer or even drive a truck for profit into a foreign state :)

RockinChair, gentleroger and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    18-year-olds can now drive semi trucks across state lines

this law passed in 22.
    You can drive out of state, but have to have forward facing camera, auto brake, one trailer, no hazmat, limited to 65 mph, and another driver 26 years old minimum with 5 years experience with you.

I think all that’s dumb, as i drive intrastate until I was 21, the next day after birthday i took off N in a snow storm to upper Wisconsin, reloading in Chicago tarping everything all winter.
    I wouldn’t recommend that.
    Cold tarps roll up like a truck tire, fold line plywood, and straps need to be rolled up like a basketball size and put in floorboard to thaw..

Off subject but that’s the only way to go interstate below 21.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I drove non CDL dump trucks across state lines with just a class e (for hire) license at 18. Never any issues.

7. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    I like that their answer to make the job more attractive is to increase pay and reduce driving hours. I’m all for more money but, no one is going to increase it enough to make up for shorter hours. I remember reading/ hearing about how a lot of folks can’t stand taking a full 10 at one time, otr drivers would go stir crazy waiting on the clock if the work day gets shortened. Or sleep patterns would be nonexistent.

8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.