Ionic Lithium 12V Group 31 3000 CA LiFePO4 Heavy Duty Battery

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Siinman, May 23, 2024.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Anyone get these and try them yet? I am thinking about buying two of them and installing on my truck. Waiting until my current batteries to die. Think I might make it to the end of summer but will see.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    I'm very interested but haven't pulled the trigger. Got good batteries now. Weight savings would be cool, about 200 lbs per bank of four over SLA or AGM.

86scotty over in the volvo forum has some experience with LiPo4's in a truck environment...

21 VNL860 upgrades, mini split/battery APU

Siinman, 86scotty and Vitkouski Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Yep, Siinman and I have talked. My AGM chassis batteries are still kicking after almost 3 years and I'm not sure what my next move will be (on truck batteries). I have learned a little about lithium in a few applications but I haven't tried lithium starter batteries yet.

Mostly what i know about lithiums is that they don't like extreme heat and cold. The better ones come with internal heaters using their own power to keep the temp up in winter but that doesn't do anything for summer of course.

I'd love to know how these work out for trucks.

Feedman, KDHCryo and Siinman Thank this.
  5. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I am hoping someone test them out before I buy them. Ha ha. I called the company a couple weeks back and had a good conversation with them.
    I feel pretty good about them myself. My only real concern is with my battery epu working with it.
    I need to do some more homework on that. I would love to be able to change those batteries out with lithium at some point too.

Feedman Thanks this.
  6. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    Wonder if extreme temps effect the voltage of a potato ? Spud batteries , my new startup , anyone want in on the ground floor ?

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The problem with LiFePo is cold. We had them on a few of the trucks last year to test, they would shut down when we had -5ºF, even with the internal heaters. The spcs give it as -4ºF at the bottom limit and if the truck sits for more than a day or two in anything under 5ºF, the BMS will drain enough of the battery to keep it heated that it won't start and can be able to charge.

I had the trucks moved to the Maxwell starting module except for one truck that the driver runs it in the south west and it is doing well with the heat, it will be in Texas for the next week and I will see how it preforms in extreme heat.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'd probably just wait.

Sodium is lithiums replacement.

9. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Sodium should be but they have sunk so much into lithium that I don't know that sodium will make it, there is trillions of dollars stuck into lithium development and mining at this point and I don't think we get out of it that easy

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    A DC to DC charger should solve that. It regulates the proper voltage from any battery bank to any battery bank. Mostly they are used like I used one in my mini split thread, to charge a lithium house bank from a chassis bank. I'm 99% sure it will work fine but I'd definitely talk to some experts before you spend the money.

11. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Did you see this one has a built in jump start? I think it is for this kind of situation.

Feedman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.