Is 56 to old to go trucking?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by J3trucking, Mar 11, 2018.

1. J3trucking

J3trucking Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    So, I hope to not get any negative advice. I cannot be talked out of doing this. It is just a matter of when, not if. Let me start by saying that as long as I am able to physically sit behind a wheel and shift gears, I wont be talked out of driving a truck some day. Its just a matter of whether I should wait to retire with a pension through my current job in 9 years or start driving now. A little about myself. As far back as I can remember all I've ever wanted to do is drive trucks, even my high school yearbook had a question in it asking what I wanted to do with my life, my answer was to drive a bullwagon. I am married and have 3 sons the youngest of which will graduate in 2019. My wife and 3 boys have always known this is what I wanted to do and are supportive. My wife wants to eventually team drive with me and is even working on getting her CDL. Studying online courses and such. After graduating from high school and doing several construction jobs I joined the AF. While in the AF, I received my military cert. to operate semi trucks. Because I had this on my military license, I was able to go to the DMV and take the written exam and received my CDL. This was in 1995, and I have kept it current all these years. While in the AF, I pulled flatbeds with equipment going to Kosovo from Holloman AFB in NM, to Nellis AFB in NV, I hauled F-4 fuselages from Davis Monthan in AZ, to Fort Bliss army bombing range. MY days off from the AF while stationed at Holloman were on Wed and Thurs and I knew a few local O/O who had bellydumps who I worked for on road construction jobs in the area. I separated from the AF with an honorable discharge in 2002. After my separation, I used my CDL to support my family by driving trucks for a couple of different companies locally, hauling lumber, cinderblock and driving a rolloff truck to local jobsites. The local trucking jobs could not give me health insurance or enough money to really support my family, so I applied for and received a position with the phone company. The hourly money is great and the insurance is OK. I have been working for them for going on 12 years now and can retire with a pension in 8 to 9 years, I will be 56. The problem Im having is I hate my job, and I have been tempted lately. I have a friend who does not live close to me, but has 3 or 4 bullwagons and has offered me a job several times recently. He has promised me comparable money to what I am making now, and even more when my wife gets her CDL. I want to jump so bad it keeps me awake at night. I would like to be an O/O some day, and haul for a company like Southern Pride. The down side. I promised myself I would wait to go OTR until my kids were graduated. I will receive a pension worth several hundred K if I can mange to stick it out in my current job until 2025. What is the trucking industry going to be like if I wait? What new BS laws are going to be in place for the industry then? What are my chances now or in 2025 of getting an OTR team job with my wife with a company like say Southern Pride trucking? I appreciate any help or ideas in advance.

Dan.S, MACK E-6 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    You are never too old to do anything. Being too old to whatever is just a mindset some fall into. I'm quite a bit older than you are and I can still strap or chain my loads. Just slower doing it.

Dan.S, MACK E-6 and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Stick out your job now for that retirement, that will be hard to replace in trucking, then grab a fishing pole, enjoy what time is left, teach the family to fish and enjoy the family. Trucking will eat a lot of time you have left and with this automatous vehicle push that is happening it will be nothing like now.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. J3trucking

Dec 24, 2017
    I guess real the question should not have been is 56 to old, but am I stupid for wanting to quit the job I have now, to chase a dream I’ve had forever? What changes do you in the industry see happening over the next 9, 10 years that would help me make an informed decision to stay where I’m at, or quit now and start doing what I’ve always wanted to do? I mean unless drivers are not needed in 10 years because the trucks are driving themselves, I will be driving. It’s just a matter of now or later.

6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It is true that some aged folks can do almost everything the younger ones do, we are just slower and surer a what we do. The only changes I really see is the megas becoming bigger, more regulations. And hopefully trucks outfitted better for living out of. They have been getting better at the improvements for the drivers like refrigs, better seats, next everything including the kitchen sink which some already have.

W900AOwner Thanks this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    As long as you can pass a DOT physical and drug screen, no age is technically "too old" for trucking.

As far as leaving your phone company job, I'd advise against it. I'm 54 and last year resigned from a secure though soul-sucking mechanic job in a union shop full of back-stabbing rats and two faced so-and-so's. I got a local driving job that didn't work out.

So now I'm starting back at the bottom in an industry I left YEARS ago, just to get money in the door. I haven't driven a truck since 2004, and everyone I've applied to says either "not current enough" or has a problem with a car accident/ticket I got 2 1/2 years ago. (Fought it with help from a lawyer and lost. Oh well.)

My point, and sorry to waste your time while I get to it, is if there's ANY WAY AT ALL you can hang on until you get your pension, I would encourage you to do so. At least you have that money coming in the door while you plan your next moves. O/O actually might be the way to go, as age discrimination is alive and well and difficult to prove....Good luck.

W900AOwner and Crusader66 Thank this.
  8. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    On one hand, I’d say stay at that Cush job and retire. On the other hand, I’d say go pull the cattle pot. You’ll never be truly satisfied unless you live out that dream.

9. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Answering the title... never too old.

Can't answer the rest... too many words for my ADD... didn't read the rest.

blairandgretchen and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. J3trucking

Dec 24, 2017
    The phone company I work for has DOT numbers on the 5500 bucket truck I drive and pays to keep my med card current, even though I don’t need a CDL to drive it. The AF, driving jobs I’ve had, and the phone co have all required urinalysis, so that has never and will never be a problem. I’m usually at the Drs office and taking care of business in the cup before the ink has dried on the paperwork from the copier machine.

11. J3trucking

Dec 24, 2017
    The ADD thing has me LMAO. Sorry so long winded. Just trying to make sure there was enough info that people would see how important this is to me.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.