Is it hard to get into get into the LTL side of trucking?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by RookieJ1987, May 6, 2019.

1. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Hahaha, nice to know that I am not the only one that got that impression of him, I think he hates drivers, and for him the less he has the better, that's my take on it.

speedyk and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I was picked up by USF Reddaway. The linehaul gig was probably one the greatest jobs I've ever landed. $70k in annual pay plus about $15/hour worth of health insurance benefits (Blue Cross/Blue Shield Silver for the entire family) my employee contribution to the plan was $50/month.

Lot of places hurting for drivers. Worse comes to worse, apply for a dock or dock/city combo. Most companies promote from within before they bring on new drivers.

4. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    What do they pay per mile etc there are Reddaway? I always wondered because the trucks are junk and slow.

5. Muttsley

Muttsley Bobtail Member

May 14, 2019
    According to the terminal manager at the spokane yard, it starts at .45 cpm and goes up to .53 cpm after 3 years

6. Muttsley

Muttsley Bobtail Member

May 14, 2019
    I got a pre hire from the terminal in spokane, any advice for linehaul? Is the training really in Medford? What do they teach you?

7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Are you getting your CDL through them? My friends tell me they send people to school there now to get their CDL. Also I think they send new hires there not sure. Medford OR is home office for Reddaway. Easy going gig. My advice for linehaul get it from point A to B as safe as possible don’t be in a rush.

8. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    #### that's low

9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    You are either running west to Seattle or east to Missoula MT. Winter driving sucks since most of their trucks are single axle with no PDL.

Your training will consist of a fistfull of DVDs/VHS tapes and one check-ride. (That's how it was for me).

My biggest reminder is that if you come from Missoula heading west, they have a drop lot off of Seltice Way at the border of WA/ID. Exit #2 if memory serves me right. If you Rocky double or triple in,, you must stop at that drop lot and lose some equipment before you are allowed to enter WA. There is a big black mailbox for your manifest.

If you Rocky double or triple into WA, you will wish you didn't. There is a scale right there when you cross the river. Make sure you make that stop at the border first.

10. Muttsley

Muttsley Bobtail Member

May 14, 2019
    I think maybe it's because I'm a rookie, but they were saying a 4 to 7 week program

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Based on your region. I was out of MT. Starting pay was somewhere around $0.42 and topped out at $0.54. $0.02 bonus for pulling triples.

You also got hourly pay which more or less averages out to $20/hour. Waiting, dockwork, and breakdown would be charged in 15 minute increments to the company. Hooking sets, fueling, and chaining up/down would be paid by some kind of flat fee. Usually 15-45 minutes based on task.

I was making about $220-$350 a night

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.