Is it just me or are young adults under the age of 25 just plain lazy?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Nov 28, 2021.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    When I encounter a young (30 or under) guy or gal that impresses me with their work ethic, I make a point of telling them so.

Ask a few questions about home purchase, retirement planning, investing etc.

I know plenty of folks my age (47) and older that are lazy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Top question a recruiter gets from newbies fresh out of the driver mill.

When will i get home , id say today your fired before your hired.

Would that not be the kiss of death way back when , before the steering wheel holders hatched.

JoeyJunk and dwells40 Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    An employer doesn't own me. If there isn't consistent time off the clock they can #### themselves as far as I'm concerned.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm an old fart, mid fifties. When I was 12, my dad let me work two weeks during summer vacation off the farm to make a little extra spending money. My best was 14 hour day driving tractor during potato harvest (mind you, I was 12). When I was 16, I'd get out of bed at midnight, drive to the turkey farm and loaded turkeys for a few hours. Couple of times a month. They paid dang good money for those willing to work an hour or two. Kept me in stereo equipment and motorcycle parts.

Today, you'd get thrown in jail as a parent if you let kids do that. My niece just got her first job a few months ago. 17 years old, bussing tables less than 10 hours a week. I did longer shifts than that at age 12.....

It's not the kid's problem, it's the parents. It takes effort, dedication, and consistency to teach a kid to work. It's easier to just park them on the couch with a screen and complain to your friends about how your kid still lives in your basement 10 years later.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The truck manufacturers need to replace the steering wheel with a game controller.

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    It all depends on how the kid was raised.
    Go look at the “Driver Retention” thread.

xlsdraw, jamespmack, Gatordude and 4 others Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that's cuz Jesus worked deep in the coal mines. no one knew where he was all that time.

Itsbrokeagain, RedForeman and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Companies don't own me they rent my time and I tell them the hours im available.

I'll out work a good 80% of people at any given opportunity if I have the same level of skill.

I learned a long time ago you can work as hard as you want but 90% of the time the company will pay you the same.

I'd like to eventually get my own rig so the rewards will match the effort. I made more at 16-17 then I do now driving a truck. But like a lot of teens I pissed it away.

There are few who are just "lazy" they're the ones who fell into drugs alcohol and instant gratification. Most are just sick of the status quo and feel like they'll never get ahead.

Rctruck87, brsims, Badmon and 5 others Thank this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Some young folks are hard workers

it’s just whatever personality they have and what they were tougher and how they were raised by their parents .

I have a nephew that is 23,

he was a certified hvac tech and a certified welder and had his CDL before he turned 20.
    Got a job with a small trucking company nearby and was doing in state runs at 20
    And when he turned 21 they tossed him the keys to a W-900 and a RGN and he started doing oversize heavy haul .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.